:: View topic - moth brain stitch
 Forum Index
An online community devoted to the practices of photomacrography and amateur microscopy..

New! Photomacrography2.net

This site is no longer available for posting or registering new members.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch     UsergroupsUsergroups   
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
moth brain stitch

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Administrator's Appreciation Gallery...Photography Through the Microscope
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve West

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 6:53 pm    Post subject: moth brain stitch Reply with quote

Here's an image of the whole moth brain section. I stitched 35 200x frames together to make this (using ImageAssembler). The resulting file is about 30MB. I printed a 3-foot long panorama from the stitch which shows tons of detail (mostly of the air tubes). Unfortunately, by the time I had time to take this picture sequence, most of the stain had bled out of the brain and into the glycerine. Too bad. Again, this is brightfield with a 20x phaco.

The brain is about 4mm across. The two large outer structures are the optic lobes, and we already talked about the antennae lobes. The U-shaped opening at the center is the esophagus! The billions of black fibers are air tubes supplying the oxygen.

Steve
Frez

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's incredible! It sounds like a lot of sewing. Smile
Being mostly familiar with mammalian brains, this sure looks odd or primitive. Guess that's why they fly into so many light bulbs. Nice post. A moth brain...that's cool Exclamation

Frez
Steve West

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Frez,

Glad you like the moth brain Cool

The stitching was a pain since there were so many threads of air tubes, the stitcher got all confused. I had to put manual control points in each frame connecting to the adjacent frames. If I recall, the stitcher worked about 2 hours working out the distortions, color blending, etc Evil or Very Mad

I originally tried a single image with the Nikon 4x plan, but I couldn't produce good illumination over the 4mm area. Besides, the resolution was too low to see anything cool. So a 20x stitch was called for.

Steve
Frez

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You definately have something to be proud of for the fruits of your labor. Make sure to back up this file.
twebster
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi ya' Steve Very Happy

Thank you so much for sharing this with us. What a wonderful image and such seamless stitching. That's what makes it our Administrator's Appreciation image for the months of December/January. Great job, Steve Exclamation

All the best, my friend Very Happy

Phoenix "The Valley of the Sun", Arizona, USA

Think about this...maybe Murphy is an optimist!!!
Ken Ramos
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Congrats Steve, that is a great shot and some excellent work. I have never tried "stitching" images Cool .
Kens Microscopy
Reposts of my images within the galleries are welcome, as are constructive critical critiques.
Steve West

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

I'm very flattered that one of my pics was picked!

The shirt is wonderful and is of very high quality--thanks for sending it to me Mike!

Steve
Kenv

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done Steve.
Kenv
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Administrator's Appreciation Gallery...Photography Through the Microscope All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: