Sponge spicules and nanotechnology

Every 30 days the site administrators will pick a favorite image made through a microscope from the "Photography Through the Microscope Gallery" to be featured on the front page of the www.amateurmicroscopy.net website.

Moderators: MacroMike, nzmacro, Ken Ramos, twebster, S. Alden

piotr

Sponge spicules and nanotechnology

Post by piotr »

Today I attended a meeting dedicated to nanobiology (another recent buzzword). One of the speakers, prof. Daniel Morse from UC Santa Barbara, talked about synthesis of nanostructures using silicatein. Silicatein is an enzyme extracted from marine glass sponges, that catalyzes synthesis of silica. Sponges use it to build their glass skeleton. Synthesis of glass occurs at low temperature and at neutral pH - not an easy task for human engineer! But, in experiments, metaloorganic compounds are used as silicatein substrates. Thus, it is possible to create complex patterned nanostructures. Can you imagine? Perhaps soon we will employ internal mechanisms of sponges or radiolarians to create structures that are not only beautiful, but also useful. Catalysts, sensors, microelectronics. What a wicked idea - but very cool!

Pictured are sponge spicules found in a sample of radiolarian ooze:

10x objective, darkfield
Piotr

Frez

Post by Frez »

Hi Piotr

That's very interesting! You must've had a good time. Do you think the next step is to also synthesize the organic structure that controls the system? Did they cover how these micro structures would perform their tasks? Also, did you collect the Radiolarian sample yourself? I'm thinking about ordering a sample from Ward's Scientific.
http://www.wardsci.com/product.asp?pn=IG0002734

Thanks
Frez

piotr

Post by piotr »

I'm sorry, Frez, for my late answer.

The Ward Science sample is very nice and I have it, too. This particular slide comes from a small set of Pacific Ocean radiolaria slides that I borrowed from the Scripps Institute of Oceanography. I contacted them some time ago and they were very friendly.

The organic structures are already there! The 3D structure of the protein is known and it is extremely interesting to make modifications in the protein in order to change properties of the product compounds. But, in fact, industry doesn't like organic structures when it comes to 'pure' applications, such as microelectronics. So they are trying to learn from nautre and re-create the protein mechanisms with inorganic compounds and nanotechnology... very cool.
Piotr

piotr

Post by piotr »

I am very happy to have my picture selected for the front page!!! :D :D :D

Thank you, Ken, all the team and members for this amazing forum!
Piotr

piotr

Post by piotr »

I have received the bag and it is GREAT! :-) :-) :-)
Thank you very much!
Piotr