:: View topic - Sponge spicules and nanotechnology
 Forum Index
An online community devoted to the practices of photomacrography and amateur microscopy..

New! Photomacrography2.net

This site is no longer available for posting or registering new members.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch     UsergroupsUsergroups   
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Sponge spicules and nanotechnology

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Administrator's Appreciation Gallery...Photography Through the Microscope
View previous topic :: View next topic  
piotr

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:16 pm    Post subject: Sponge spicules and nanotechnology Reply with quote

Today I attended a meeting dedicated to nanobiology (another recent buzzword). One of the speakers, prof. Daniel Morse from UC Santa Barbara, talked about synthesis of nanostructures using silicatein. Silicatein is an enzyme extracted from marine glass sponges, that catalyzes synthesis of silica. Sponges use it to build their glass skeleton. Synthesis of glass occurs at low temperature and at neutral pH - not an easy task for human engineer! But, in experiments, metaloorganic compounds are used as silicatein substrates. Thus, it is possible to create complex patterned nanostructures. Can you imagine? Perhaps soon we will employ internal mechanisms of sponges or radiolarians to create structures that are not only beautiful, but also useful. Catalysts, sensors, microelectronics. What a wicked idea - but very cool!

Pictured are sponge spicules found in a sample of radiolarian ooze:

10x objective, darkfield
Frez

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Piotr

That's very interesting! You must've had a good time. Do you think the next step is to also synthesize the organic structure that controls the system? Did they cover how these micro structures would perform their tasks? Also, did you collect the Radiolarian sample yourself? I'm thinking about ordering a sample from Ward's Scientific.
http://www.wardsci.com/product.asp?pn=IG0002734

Thanks
Frez
piotr

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry, Frez, for my late answer.

The Ward Science sample is very nice and I have it, too. This particular slide comes from a small set of Pacific Ocean radiolaria slides that I borrowed from the Scripps Institute of Oceanography. I contacted them some time ago and they were very friendly.

The organic structures are already there! The 3D structure of the protein is known and it is extremely interesting to make modifications in the protein in order to change properties of the product compounds. But, in fact, industry doesn't like organic structures when it comes to 'pure' applications, such as microelectronics. So they are trying to learn from nautre and re-create the protein mechanisms with inorganic compounds and nanotechnology... very cool.
piotr

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am very happy to have my picture selected for the front page!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Thank you, Ken, all the team and members for this amazing forum!
piotr

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have received the bag and it is GREAT! Smile Smile Smile
Thank you very much!
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Administrator's Appreciation Gallery...Photography Through the Microscope All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: