A Rare Butterfly

Post your macro and close-up images in this gallery. You may post all subject types whether natural or unnatural, living or non-living.

Moderators: MacroMike, nzmacro, Ken Ramos, twebster, S. Alden

gunn

A Rare Butterfly

Post by gunn »

A seldom seen butterfly, shot just last week. 20D/100mm, 1/180, f.8, iso100, 580ex, diffusers.

regards
gunn

Bald Eagle

Post by Bald Eagle »

Beautiful shot, what kind is it? oh a small suggestion perhaps, on my monitor, it appears that the subject is blending in to the shadow around the eyes, just a thought. :D :D :D
Always look at Nature with wide eyes.
Rick Cowen
Canon 5D, Canon 70-300 IS USM.Sigma 150 2.8 Macro, Sigma 170-500. A set of Kenko tubes. Check out my Gallery here!

http://www.pbase.com/1bald_eagle/macro

Ken Ramos
Site Admin

Post by Ken Ramos »

Bald Eagle stated:
on my monitor, it appears that the subject is blending in to the shadow around the eyes
Yeah, on mine too Rick. However a great shot just the same Gunn. Beautiful! :D I will be glad when the warm weather gets back to North Carolina, it is snowing again! :?
Site Admin.
Kenneth Ramos
Rutherfordton, North Carolina
Kens Microscopy
Reposts of my images within the galleries are welcome, as are constructive critical critiques.

gunn

Post by gunn »

hi rick and ken

thanks for stopping by here. what can i do to distinguish the face from the background. i'm so bad with photoshop. thanks again.

warmest regards
gunn

Ken Ramos
Site Admin

Post by Ken Ramos »

Well I am no whiz with photo software either there Gunn and I really do not know what to do about the blending of like colors in a situation like this. :-k I try to pay more attention to my backgrounds but sometimes I get captivated by the subject in anticipation of photographing it and forget to notice what is behind it. :(
Site Admin.
Kenneth Ramos
Rutherfordton, North Carolina
Kens Microscopy
Reposts of my images within the galleries are welcome, as are constructive critical critiques.

S. Alden
Site Admin

Post by S. Alden »

You might try to lighten it up in PS under the saturation tool.
Sue Alden
Administrator
Repost of my images are welcome

MikeBinOKlahoma

Post by MikeBinOKlahoma »

Lovely, Gunn!

I don't have any particular photoshop tips except maybe try to use magic wand to separate the b-fly from the bg, then use levels, brightness, or whatever suits your fancy to brighten up the bg.

If you were shooting RAW, you could try developing the shot a second time with a large +exposure, running the bg through noiseninja or similar noise reduction program to get rid of the massive noise this will cause, then merging the properly exposed b-fly onto the overexposed (but hopefully colorful) bg.

I did something like that here:

http://www.photomacrography1.net/forum/ ... hlight=raw
Mike Broderick

(reposts on this site of my images for critique or instruction are welcome)

MacroMike
Site Admin

Post by MacroMike »

Hello Gunn.

A lighter BG would have been nice, but the face is distinguishable enough as is. Sometimes we have to settle for what nature allows. Beautiful color and sharp detail on the butterfly.
Michael Keniston
Site Administrator
Tampa, FL
www.aclosereyeview.com
m_keniston@aclosereyeview.com

"The possession of a camera can inspire something akin to lust and like all credible forms of lust, it can not be satisfied."

Susan Sontag, On Photography (1977)

Sortvind

Post by Sortvind »

wow, very nice one! the only thing is the eye, like they have allready said..What i would do is mark it with marque tool and added shadow or different level. Then used clonetool if the lines got to clear. Keep up the good work!
Show the world what they dont take time to see