:: View topic - first flash result, a synchaeta with fungi
 Forum Index
An online community devoted to the practices of photomacrography and amateur microscopy..

New! Photomacrography2.net

This site is no longer available for posting or registering new members.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch     UsergroupsUsergroups   
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
first flash result, a synchaeta with fungi

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Administrator's Appreciation Gallery...Photography Through the Microscope
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wim van Egmond

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 4:47 am    Post subject: first flash result, a synchaeta with fungi Reply with quote

I finally post an image made with the new flash on the microscope. The first moving organism I photographed was this Synchaeta, a predatory rotifer. I had it trapped under the coverslip so I could have done this wihout flash. But I think it is sharper than the images I made without flash. And the little cilia are also sharp.

I was intrigued by this type of fungi that spead throughout this predatory rotifer. There is also an enigmatic round object left to the big trophi. Does anybody have a suggestion what it may be?

This image was made with a 25X plan apo I recently bought from a friend. I am happy with it. The depth of field is very shallow especially with the full aperture used in DIC but I combined two focus layers to get the most important parts in focus.

I hope to have time to do more photography soon. I hope to do dark field too!

Wim
twebster
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW, Wim Exclamation Shocked

Your DIC images just knock my socks off Exclamation About the time I think I'm catching up to some of you image-wise, you go and raise the bar another notch Exclamation Very Happy What a beautiful and intriguing image. I'm just fascinated by how well the internal structures are revealed in DIC. I don't know what that bright, round object is, though.

It's amazing how infested with fungi and parasites rotifers can become, yet they can still function somewhat. Humans are wimps in comparison. If we suffered an infestation as bad as this rotifer, we would have succumbed to it much sooner.

Where do you find rotifers, like this one? Do these rotifers live in colder waters? All I can find in the ponds around me are bdelloid rotifers and those little, rotund loricate rotifers. Our ponds get pretty warm here in Phoenix, Arizona, USA, and I just never see rotifers like this one or like the ones Gerd has posted.

Best regards as always, my friend. Very Happy

Phoenix "The Valley of the Sun", Arizona, USA

Think about this...maybe Murphy is an optimist!!!
piotr

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing!!! Smile

Very interesting subject. Details and resolution are incredible. What is the red structure next to a tail?

You pushed optical microscopy to its limits, Wim. The planapo objective + flash + DIC (+Wim Smile) is the best combination I can imagine.
Oliver Skibbe

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Wim!

I have never seen anything like this before, but it sure doesn't look like a fungal parasite. There are no hyphae visible inside the rotifer.

Maybe sporozoan infection?
GreenLarry

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic image Wim, the fungi are those lozenge shaped objects I take it?
The detail here is amazing, what flash set up do you use, is it a special one for photomicroscopy?
twebster
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi ya' Wim Very Happy

I keep returning to view this stunning image. I can't t imagine how the rotifer still functions Exclamation

Best regards as always, my friend Very Happy

Phoenix "The Valley of the Sun", Arizona, USA

Think about this...maybe Murphy is an optimist!!!
nzmacro
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally incredible work. The details are amazing. Congrats Wim, excellent work and shot. Very Happy

Danny.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Administrator's Appreciation Gallery...Photography Through the Microscope All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: