Spring means Daphnia

Every 30 days the site administrators will pick a favorite image made through a microscope from the "Photography Through the Microscope Gallery" to be featured on the front page of the www.amateurmicroscopy.net website.

Moderators: MacroMike, nzmacro, Ken Ramos, twebster, S. Alden

micron

Spring means Daphnia

Post by micron »

Well the local water ways are beginning to build their seasonal Daphnia population. I grabbed a sample and took some shots with the M420. These suckers never stop moving! I finally got four decent images which have been assembled into the collage below. Check out the youngster top right.

Nikon Coolpix 4500
Leica M420 Macroscope
Apozoom 6:1
10x Relay Lens
Schott-Fostec fibre optic ringlight below the stage - darkfield
Paint Shop Pro 7.0 – various tools
Neat Image

GreenLarry

Post by GreenLarry »

Fantastic shot, and it looks like the mother, top right, is wearing her best hat! :wink:

piotr

Post by piotr »

Very beautiful sequence of shots, Ron. These pictures have this 'live' feel, like being observed thru microscope.
Piotr

micron

Post by micron »

Thanks - I used the circle crop option in Paintshop Pro to get the "through the scope" look. Assembling images like this produces a very high resolution file, one that yields a very high res 12"x18" print.

twebster
Site Admin

Post by twebster »

Hi ya' Ron :-)

I just love Daphnia :!: :D When I was a child my mother kept plants in crystal vases. The water would always be full of Daphnia. I spent hours watching them with a student microscope. :D

Congrats on being this month's choice for the Administrator's Appreciation Gallery. :D

Best regards as always, my friend. :D
Tom Webster
Administrator

Phoenix "The Valley of the Sun", Arizona, USA

Think about this...maybe Murphy is an optimist!!!