Jumping Spider with Prey

Every 30 days the site administrators will pick a favorite macro or close-up image from the "Macro and Close-up Photography Gallery" to be featured on the front page of the www.photomacrography.com website.

Moderators: MacroMike, nzmacro, Ken Ramos, twebster, S. Alden

Sgt. Pepper

Jumping Spider with Prey

Post by Sgt. Pepper »

It's been a while since my last post here.
Good to see that all macroholics here are doing really fine. :)

Here's a Jumping Spider image taken from my last trip to the Phils.

Cheers!
edsel

Details of the set-up can be found HERE.
f16, 1/180s, ISO100 (full frame)

nzmacro
Site Admin

Post by nzmacro »

Just have to love those eyes my friend, great to see you :D . Excellent article there. Hows Graham doing over there. I must visit more often. Would you submit that one and let us use that as well. Its EXCELLENT !!!

Great details and excellent eye to .........eye'sssss view :D

All the best Edsel.

Danny.

paul

Post by paul »

Beautiful result from cleverly designed and basic means! My own attempts with reversed lenses have not quite reached that standard, but recently I 'confronted' a jumping spider and found myself (well, my lens) reflected in all its eyes. So my question is: what are the 2 minor specs of light? The big rectangle obviously is the flash as described in you very interesting article. But there are 2 more small dots.

Thanks for the image and the article. Food for thought.

Cheers, Paul
paul h

Ken Ramos
Site Admin

Post by Ken Ramos »

That is one hairy dude. Reminds me of Frez :lol: Sorry Frez I couldn't resist. :D Great image however. Thanks Edsel
Site Admin.
Kenneth Ramos
Rutherfordton, North Carolina
Kens Microscopy
Reposts of my images within the galleries are welcome, as are constructive critical critiques.

nephiliim

Post by nephiliim »

how do you get so close to them? When I try that, they seem to smell me or something.. and run or jump away
Sometimes smaller is better!
*nodge nodge :D*

Comments and advice always welcome
My little website

paul

Post by paul »

nephiliim wrote:how do you get so close to them? When I try that, they seem to smell me or something.. and run or jump away
My limited experience with jumping spiders is that they are quite curious, and after a couple of shots they jump on the lens (when working with reversed lens setup at a distance of about 2cm) :)
paul h

Sgt. Pepper

Post by Sgt. Pepper »

Sorry for the late reply...
Thanks for the comments! :)

Danny: Graeme, not Graham. :P He's doing fine at NPS.

Paul: good question, though I'm not really sure where that two small catchlight came from. It could be a reflection from somewhere.

Cheers!
edsel

twebster
Site Admin

Post by twebster »

Hi ya' edsel :D

Thank you so much for allowing us to use your image on the front cover of www.photomacrography.net. I'm sure visitors to our site will enjoy it as much as we have in our galleries. :D

Best regards as always, :D
Tom Webster
Administrator

Phoenix "The Valley of the Sun", Arizona, USA

Think about this...maybe Murphy is an optimist!!!

gunn

Post by gunn »

congrats sgt pepper. i knew it was a good shot the first time i saw it. subsequently, i did take a few shots myself of a similar spider with an almost similar prey, but never felt inclined to have it posted here because your image was superior to those i had taken. all the best.

gunn