I`m liken these lichens

Post your macro and close-up images in this gallery. You may post all subject types whether natural or unnatural, living or non-living.

Moderators: MacroMike, nzmacro, Ken Ramos, twebster, S. Alden

Beetleman

I`m liken these lichens

Post by Beetleman »

This is a closeup of a small patch of lichen and moss in my bog garden. I actually transplanted the moss and lichen from another location. This is a stack of 16 pictures (Helicon Focus) using manual focus and the camera on a rail, moving the camera in small steps. All I`m going to say is Cladonia Spp. Field of view from top to bottom is about 1.25" and the largest cup diameter is 4mm.

Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda
Canon PowerShot S1 IS with Canon 250D closeup lens

MacroLuv

Post by MacroLuv »

Hey, You are collecting lichens! :wink: Well done! :D
Did you use any extra lightening?
And isn't that brown thing some kind of beetle? 8) :D
I vote for Cladonia too :wink:

Ken Ramos
Site Admin

Post by Ken Ramos »

Well done Doug. :D Exploring lichens and mosses can get addictive. MacoLuv mentioned a beetle, I have the habit of examining both lichens and mosses under the stereomicroscope for insects and other beasties and have come across some very unusual critters from time to time, that are not easily seen by other means. :D
Site Admin.
Kenneth Ramos
Rutherfordton, North Carolina
Kens Microscopy
Reposts of my images within the galleries are welcome, as are constructive critical critiques.

Beetleman

Post by Beetleman »

last year I setup a small moss garden in my yard in a shaded spot that gets sun very early in the morning. I also set up a small bog garden (full sun) for some carnivorous plants I Have. Then I made a 40 gallon aquarium into a terrarium for my mini orchids I have. So I went around looking for interesting moss and lichens for all three places. Some did very well..some did not, but the ones that did are spreading very well. I am not sure what that brown thing is...I will have to check to see if it is still there when I get home from work. Ken, I have seen some of your post on the moss animals. I did not use any lighting on these, just early morning light...no sun. These are growing in full sun, very moist peat-sand mixture. Thanks for the comments Guys :wink:
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda
Canon PowerShot S1 IS with Canon 250D closeup lens

MacroLuv

Post by MacroLuv »

Beetleman wrote:... mini orchids I have. ... Thanks for the comments Guys :wink:
Oh nice. Have you mini orchids in bloom? :D