beetle close up

Post your macro and close-up images in this gallery. You may post all subject types whether natural or unnatural, living or non-living.

Moderators: MacroMike, nzmacro, Ken Ramos, twebster, S. Alden

Wim van Egmond

beetle close up

Post by Wim van Egmond »

I have asked the little beetle to do this trick for Steve!

Is this o.k.?

Wim

crocoite

Post by crocoite »

Certainly is! Did you need a whip and a chair Wim?

Regards
Steve

Wim van Egmond

Post by Wim van Egmond »

No, it was mainly the food! A good brand pet food is essential!:D

This was probably a mite.

Wim

Beetleman

Post by Beetleman »

Here are my thoughts on how Wim takes his Macro & Micro Pictures. He captures these animals, gives them two weeks of intensive training, tells them to "hold still for a few moments, I want to take your picture for my friends" and then he turns them loose back into the wild. Incredible pictures.
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda
Canon PowerShot S1 IS with Canon 250D closeup lens

rjlittlefield

Post by rjlittlefield »

Beetleman wrote:He captures these animals, gives them two weeks of intensive training, tells them to "hold still for a few moments, I want to take your picture for my friends" and then he turns them loose back into the wild.
That's not as outlandish as it sounds! I once convinced a moth to hold stock-still for over two days(!) while I played with various ways to photograph it. The picture is posted; it's figure 1 here. But I don't think my tricks would work with Wim's beetle. His beetle hunts by day; my moth thought it was hiding in camouflage. :D

--Rik

MikeBinOKlahoma

Post by MikeBinOKlahoma »

If Wim could get a mess of Army Ants and train them to "attack" on command, he'd be very dangerous! Fortunately, they don't have Army Ants over in Europe....
Mike Broderick

(reposts on this site of my images for critique or instruction are welcome)

Wim van Egmond

Post by Wim van Egmond »

That's right. but the true secret is of course hypnosis:)

I caught this beetle but normally I photograph them in the wild. Much more fun. In this case I did photograph it in the wild but I had too strong reflections becaue my flash was too close to the camera. So at home I could place two flashes on the floor with a slave. I think I am going to make or buy a flash system that can create light from the sides.

I received an I.D. of this beetle from Peter M. Macdonald. It is an Elaphrus species. Perhaps Elaphrus cupreus.

The trick for photographing insects is of course to approach them in slow motion. Stay as still as possible since their compound eyes are especially good in detecting motion. That's the fun of photographing insects, it is like a game!

Wim