A Mayfly...

Post your macro and close-up images in this gallery. You may post all subject types whether natural or unnatural, living or non-living.

Moderators: MacroMike, nzmacro, Ken Ramos, twebster, S. Alden

twebster
Site Admin

A Mayfly...

Post by twebster »

Hi y'all, :D

As some of you may already know, my father passed away unexpectedly on 05/10/2006. After all of the "hullabaloo" of out-of-town relatives and memorial services I needed some time alone to reflect on my father's passing. I have always used photography as a means of therapy and healing so I grabbed my camera and headed for the nearby Verde River. Considering my mood, I thought it appropriate that I should photograph a mayfly, order Ephemeroptera.

The root origin for "Ephemeroptera" is "ephemera" which means "fleeting" or "short-lived". Mayflies live but very briefly, a day or two, as adults. I cannot think of any one object of comparison that best reflects our lives...fleeting. Dad was 85 yrs old but even 85 is fleeting. We never have enough time with our loved ones. It is never to soon to hug the people you love. It is never too soon to tell them how much you love them. It is all too soon that you cannot. :cry:

My best regards to all as always, :D
Tom Webster
Administrator

Phoenix "The Valley of the Sun", Arizona, USA

Think about this...maybe Murphy is an optimist!!!

Ken Ramos
Site Admin

Post by Ken Ramos »

I agree with you Tom, whole heartedly. Life is never as long as we seem to percieve it, enjoy being with your loved ones and friends as often as you can. :wink:

As for this Mayfly, you know I would have a fond liking for this photograph, one of my favorite insects and one that I do consider most beautiful. Excellent photograph Tom! :D
Site Admin.
Kenneth Ramos
Rutherfordton, North Carolina
Kens Microscopy
Reposts of my images within the galleries are welcome, as are constructive critical critiques.

Wim van Egmond

Post by Wim van Egmond »

beautiful image! Sorry to hear that, Tom. I had a bit similar experience when my mother died. The study of nature, observing the beauty of it can give some solitude. Or in any case gives you some time to contemplate. For me especially drawing microbes was almosty like a meditative experience. Keep up the good work my friend!

By the way, Have you seen the males of mayflies?

Wim

nephiliim

Post by nephiliim »

Hey Tom,

My sincere condolances man. I agree with the story you wrote here.
Life is indeed to short, and it is never wrong to tell someone that you love them.

All the best my friend,

Tom B
Sometimes smaller is better!
*nodge nodge :D*

Comments and advice always welcome
My little website