Jumping spider

Post your macro and close-up images in this gallery. You may post all subject types whether natural or unnatural, living or non-living.

Moderators: MacroMike, nzmacro, Ken Ramos, twebster, S. Alden

Wim van Egmond

Jumping spider

Post by Wim van Egmond »

Ken, don't tell me this one also gives you the creeps! Isn't she cute? It is a Marpissa muscosa. Lives on tree bark. has a good camouflage for that.

Wim

rjlittlefield

Post by rjlittlefield »

Beautiful captures, Wim!

But I'm not so sure that Ken can be sold on these things -- not after I posted about the "dark side" of jumpers. :twisted: :D

What sort of mouthparts is this little beauty hiding behind those delicate palps, anyway?

--Rik

Wim van Egmond

Post by Wim van Egmond »

Hello Rik,

That was nice picture you made! I assume it is quite a big spider because for mine I had to use some extension rings.

I also use the 105 Sigma. It is a great lens. A good idea to stack. I shall try this too! What f-stop do you usually work with?

Wim

rjlittlefield

Post by rjlittlefield »

Wim,

Thanks for the compliment. I liked the way it came out, too.

My spider is 12mm across the legs as posed. (The total picture width covers 16mm.) I shot that stack at f/8 for maximum sharpness. f/16 would be almost as good, below that gets fuzzy, see here for more info.

--Rik

MikeBinOKlahoma

Post by MikeBinOKlahoma »

Hairy gal, isn't she? Very good job in capturing a very small subject (which is very tough to do).
Mike Broderick

(reposts on this site of my images for critique or instruction are welcome)