Hey, "Click" on This!

Post your macro and close-up images in this gallery. You may post all subject types whether natural or unnatural, living or non-living.

Moderators: MacroMike, nzmacro, Ken Ramos, twebster, S. Alden

Ken Ramos
Site Admin

Hey, "Click" on This!

Post by Ken Ramos »

Click Beetle
Canon 20D
Canon 100mm f/2.8 macro lens
Manual exposure
On Camera Flash
1/250 sec. @ f/6.3 ISO 200
Late afternoon in shade

Many posts back I made a comment that I was more interested in the subjects themselves, than in the photographic techniques used to capture them. :roll: Well if someone will pass me that bottle of hot sauce, I will go ahead and eat this crow. :lol: With the recent acquisition of a new toy (note tech. data for the above image), my interests in photography or should I say macrophotography, have made a drastic turn about. Thanks for all of your help and inspiration my friends. :D
Site Admin.
Kenneth Ramos
Rutherfordton, North Carolina
Kens Microscopy
Reposts of my images within the galleries are welcome, as are constructive critical critiques.

Wim van Egmond

Post by Wim van Egmond »

Hi Ken,

Interesting subject! Nice picture! The technique is interesting but we can't do without these great subjects! Have you tried to photograph the underside? You can see the clicking mechanism.

I hope you don't mind the following shameless selfpromotion: :D

http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/mag/artdec05/click.html

Wim

Ken Ramos
Site Admin

Post by Ken Ramos »

Wim asked:
Have you tried to photograph the underside? You can see the clicking mechanism.

I'm lucky to get any side I can Wim :lol: Your shots of the clicking mechanism are quite interesting. It is nice to know and see how things work in nature. Thanks for your comments Wim :D
Site Admin.
Kenneth Ramos
Rutherfordton, North Carolina
Kens Microscopy
Reposts of my images within the galleries are welcome, as are constructive critical critiques.

rjlittlefield

Post by rjlittlefield »

Wim,

Thanks for the link to your click beetle page. These beetles have amused me since I was a small child. I was playing with one at dinnertime just a couple of nights ago. (Hhmm, perhaps now I am a big child?)

Like you, I have read about the clicking mechanism but I do not find the explanations very, uh, explanatory. Yes, there is a spine that fits into a groove, but exactly what does it have to do with the click? Presumably the click is produced by using muscles to store energy in a springy tissue, then suddenly release it using a catch of some sort. But where is the spring? Where is the catch?

These details have been worked out for many insects. (See here for froghoppers, which turn out to be way more impressive than fleas :shock: ). But I haven't been able to find them for the click beetle. Do you know where to look?

--Rik

PS. Hey Ken, nice picture! Sorry to get distracted by the mechanics of the beetle. :wink: :D