silvery fly

Post your macro and close-up images in this gallery. You may post all subject types whether natural or unnatural, living or non-living.

Moderators: MacroMike, nzmacro, Ken Ramos, twebster, S. Alden

Wim van Egmond

silvery fly

Post by Wim van Egmond »

This is a fly I sometimes find when I go on a walk through the sand dunes. It is small with silvery hairs and called Thereva annulata.

I am trying to find a compromise between resolution and depth of field. I'll included a cropped detail of the same image with the smallest details.

Wim

Ken Ramos
Site Admin

Post by Ken Ramos »

I have never seen a fly like this before either Wim. :-k I thought we had some strange stuff here in our mountains but nothing like this I would imagine. A great job on the photographs Wim, do these bite? :D
Site Admin.
Kenneth Ramos
Rutherfordton, North Carolina
Kens Microscopy
Reposts of my images within the galleries are welcome, as are constructive critical critiques.

Beetleman

Post by Beetleman »

That is a City fly!! look at the clothes he has on :lol: He looks like a Royal family fly. I do not think he flies around Dung. Crystal clear shots Wim.
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda
Canon PowerShot S1 IS with Canon 250D closeup lens

rjlittlefield

Post by rjlittlefield »

Wim,

Good compromise! Looks like you might even stop down just a bit more. I'm not seeing fuzziness even in the actual-pixels crop.

What were the parameters for this shot (magnification, f-stop)?

BTW, I notice that this fly uses the "square" layout for its eye facets. Reminds me of Charlie Kreb's post showing this at higher magnification. I wonder why some use square and some use hexagonal?

--Rik

Wim van Egmond

Post by Wim van Egmond »

Thanks friends!

I think it looks a bit like the Abominable snow-fly!

It was done with a 105 mm. sigma macro objective as close as I could get so the 1 to 1 with the smaller than 35mm Nikon sensor. And I used a ring for some extra magnification. The insect is not much begger than a centimeter.

f-stop was 13. I think with 16 I would get slightly less resolution but it would need a big print to see the difference. With some sharpening you can alway make it a bit more crispy when you have stopped down too much:-)

Wim