E' GADS!

Post your macro and close-up images in this gallery. You may post all subject types whether natural or unnatural, living or non-living.

Moderators: MacroMike, nzmacro, Ken Ramos, twebster, S. Alden

Ken Ramos
Site Admin

E' GADS!

Post by Ken Ramos »

This "was :wink: " on my bathroom wall! :shock:

Potty Macro (All over the place :lol: )
Canon EOS 20D Auto
Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM
Flash (built-in)
1/60 sec. @ f/4 ISO 400
Site Admin.
Kenneth Ramos
Rutherfordton, North Carolina
Kens Microscopy
Reposts of my images within the galleries are welcome, as are constructive critical critiques.

rjlittlefield

Post by rjlittlefield »

Outrageous illumination! This is so cool!! :D

I haven't seen such great work with shadows since one of those old horror programs...

"Picture, if you will, a doubling of your nightmare's limbs, as your mind twists in tortured fascination..." 8)

--Rik

Ken Ramos
Site Admin

Post by Ken Ramos »

Gee, thanks Rik! :o Feel sort'a bad now though, for throwing that flip-flop at it and killing it. :( Managed to save a leg or two, to put under the microscope later on though. Don't know where the rest of it went. :-k :D
Site Admin.
Kenneth Ramos
Kens Microscopy
Reposts of my images within the galleries are welcome, as are constructive critical critiques.

Beetleman

Post by Beetleman »

Verrry spooky picture. I really hate these kind of spiders...nothing cute about them. If they are in their web and you disturb them, they start shaking and rocking on the web....very freaky and their legs come off very easily. Ken, I give them the flip-flop every time. :(
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda
Canon PowerShot S1 IS with Canon 250D closeup lens

Ken Ramos
Site Admin

Post by Ken Ramos »

Thanks Doug. :D Thats an evil looking spider isn't it? Not as cute as say the jumpers. The jumpers are the only ones I have really warmed up to, they seem to have such personality. As for these, yep they will get the flip flop, boots, fly swatter, tire iron...well you get the picture. :lol:
Site Admin.
Kenneth Ramos
Kens Microscopy

rjlittlefield

Post by rjlittlefield »

Ken,

I keep coming back to this photo.

I really am fascinated by the shadow pattern.

You've got one set of crisp, intense shadows, that must be cast by the on-camera flash, that just perfectly mimic the legs that they are shadows of.

And then you've got that other set, much less intense and farther offset so they actually look like shadows, that must be cast by a ceiling light.

I know you probably didn't plan this, but if you did ... nice job :!:

--Rik

Ken Ramos
Site Admin

Post by Ken Ramos »

Rik said:
I know you probably didn't plan this, but if you did ... nice job
No it wasn't planned Rik, at least the lighting anyway. I just thought I would grab a shot of the thing before I put it away. :D I know that spiders serve a purpose in keeping insects under control but I have never observed these doing anything but building unwanted webs around the house that I have never seen an insect in. :?

Glad you like the shot though but it was quite by accident :wink:
Site Admin.
Kenneth Ramos
Kens Microscopy

Wim van Egmond

Post by Wim van Egmond »

Nice image! But why are you all so negative about spiders??? Spiders are great! I once wrote a little article about this daddy long legs spider (sorry for the self promotion: http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/mag/spi ... lcus1.html ) And this one is pretty interesting. How they hold their egg packages.

One interestign point. They feed on otehr spiders! So if you hate spiders you should love these! :D :D

But perhaps you should do some portraits of jumping spiders, they are cute! :D

Wim

Ken Ramos
Site Admin

Post by Ken Ramos »

My fear of spiders goes back a long way Wim. :-k I think it has something to do with those big hairy tarantula movies back in the late 50's or early 60's, I was born in 51. Of course I still like monster spider movies but no one makes them any more, well except for "It," (S. King) :D

Anyway, read your little article, interesting bit there. So that explains why I see no bugs in their webs. O.k. so I will give them a break but I am keeping a close eye on them. :lol: Thanks Wim :D
Site Admin.
Kenneth Ramos
Kens Microscopy