Honey Bee, Tasmania

Post your macro and close-up images in this gallery. You may post all subject types whether natural or unnatural, living or non-living.

Moderators: MacroMike, nzmacro, Ken Ramos, twebster, S. Alden

crocoite

Honey Bee, Tasmania

Post by crocoite »

Hi all

My first post. There are some excellent photos here. Must be a talented bunch. I've included one I took a few weeks back (when the weather was a bit warmer!) of a honey bee. The eucalypt that it is on seems to be one that attracts quite a few flying insects. This was my best shot though. Photo taken with a Sony DSC-F828 with macro set on and hand-held (no tripod). No flash, just late-afternoon sun.

Normally, I take photos of my minerals through an Olympus microscope, but occasionally get out to see what I can find in the wide wide world.

Comments welcomed
Steve
Last edited by crocoite on Thu May 11, 2006 1:37 am, edited 3 times in total.

S. Alden
Site Admin

Post by S. Alden »

Here you go. Welcome to the forums and a very nice image to start out with too.
Sue Alden
Administrator
Repost of my images are welcome

Beetleman

Post by Beetleman »

And a hearty welcome to you Steve. Very nice shot you have there. I personally love seeing insects from exotic far away places. It would be a dream come true to visit tasmania. :wink:
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda
Canon PowerShot S1 IS with Canon 250D closeup lens

crocoite

Post by crocoite »

[quote="S. Alden"][img]http://www.crocoite.com/images/honeybee2-640.jpg[/img]

Here you go. Welcome to the forums and a very nice image to start out with too.[/quote]

Thanks Sue. So what exactly was I not doing? I tried enclosing it within the img tags, url tags and a combination.

Regards
Steve

crocoite

Post by crocoite »

[quote="Beetleman"]And a hearty welcome to you Steve. Very nice shot you have there. I personally love seeing insects from exotic far away places. It would be a dream come true to visit tasmania. :wink:[/quote]

Thanks Doug

Your saying "Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints." has been used in advertising campaigns for Tasmania's wilderness areas.

Regards
Steve

Ken Ramos
Site Admin

Post by Ken Ramos »

Welcome Steve :D I had a look at your post and Sues also. You did not have the image tags attached to your url. Just click and mouse over the url and then click on Img to add them. Sometimes the tags do not get close enough to the url, leaving a "space" between them or one of them and the url. So, you have to move the tag closer to the url either by back spacing or spacing, to attach it.

Anyway and excellent photograph to open with Steve, glad to have you aboard. :D
Site Admin.
Kenneth Ramos
Rutherfordton, North Carolina
Kens Microscopy
Reposts of my images within the galleries are welcome, as are constructive critical critiques.

Beetleman

Post by Beetleman »

Actually Steve, I work at a science and nature store (rocks & minerals and cool science toys for kids of all ages) and that is one of the Bumper stickers we sell to put on your car bumper :D
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda
Canon PowerShot S1 IS with Canon 250D closeup lens

crocoite

Post by crocoite »

[quote="Ken Ramos"] Just click and mouse over the url and then click on Img to add them. Sometimes the tags do not get close enough to the url, leaving a "space" between them or one of them and the url. [/quote]

Hi Ken

Tried that but it didn't work for me (have a look at the first post again and you can see what I've done).

Regards
Steve

Ken Ramos
Site Admin

Post by Ken Ramos »

Look at the bottom of the message screen. You have your BBC codes "disabled." Go back to edit and remove the check mark where it says "Disable BBC codes." That should do it. :D
Site Admin.
Kenneth Ramos
Kens Microscopy
Reposts of my images within the galleries are welcome, as are constructive critical critiques.

crocoite

Post by crocoite »

Ken Ramos wrote:Look at the bottom of the message screen. You have your BBC codes "disabled." Go back to edit and remove the check mark where it says "Disable BBC codes." That should do it. :D
Thanks Ken, working fine now. :D

Ken Ramos
Site Admin

Post by Ken Ramos »

Steve replied:
Thanks Ken, working fine now. :D

I see! :D Now, lets see some more shots there Steve! :D
Site Admin.
Kenneth Ramos
Kens Microscopy

Wim van Egmond

Post by Wim van Egmond »

Welcome to the Forum, Steve!

It looks like a drone fly! We have them here in the Netherlands (Do you call that Up above or Down under:) as well. Probably not the same species but they look very similar. They look like bees but it is mimicry. Many drone and hover flies mimic stinging insects to avoid predators!

You can see teh difference between bees in the short antennae and they have one pair of wings, not two.

Keep up the good (and small) work!

Wim

crocoite

Post by crocoite »

Wim van Egmond wrote:Welcome to the Forum, Steve!

It looks like a drone fly! We have them here in the Netherlands (Do you call that Up above or Down under:) as well. Probably not the same species but they look very similar. They look like bees but it is mimicry. Many drone and hover flies mimic stinging insects to avoid predators!

You can see teh difference between bees in the short antennae and they have one pair of wings, not two.

Keep up the good (and small) work!

Wim
Thanks Wim - You may well be right. I assumed that is was a bee. I'll see if I can do some research on it. BTW, it could be "up above" but we in Tasmania are "under down under"!

Regards
Steve