wasp on southern night sky

Post your macro and close-up images in this gallery. You may post all subject types whether natural or unnatural, living or non-living.

Moderators: MacroMike, nzmacro, Ken Ramos, twebster, S. Alden

paul

wasp on southern night sky

Post by paul »

The wasps are getting desperate, with winter approaching. This one found the window of my study at 10pm and sat down to preen. Never in one place, sometimes moving furiously, wings buzzing, sometimes just turning on the spot, enough to make tight framing a nightmare.

The night sky tells me that it is time again to clean the windows. The specs are accentuated a bit by USM.

Dynax 7D @ ISO 800
100mm macro
F32, 1/60
flash (I use an old 2nd hand Minolta ring flash)
paul h

MikeBinOKlahoma

Post by MikeBinOKlahoma »

Paul, this is a very neat shot! Good job. The colors, the subject are awesome....
Mike Broderick

(reposts on this site of my images for critique or instruction are welcome)

nzmacro
Site Admin

Post by nzmacro »

:D the under carriage for sure Paul. Plenty of stars up there in AKLD I see M8t.......or is that snow :D .

Love the colours and the unique details Paul.

Danny.

Garry DeLong

Post by Garry DeLong »

This appears to be very close to the species that we in the NW USA refer to as a "yellow jacket" (Vespula sp.) http://www.velocity.net/~aeridia/vespula_germanica.html
Adjusting for where you are, in New Zealand, this would be about the time this animal becomes very irritable and aggressive. In this part of the world, the same happens in October.
Garry DeLong

paul

Post by paul »

Garry, you are right, this is the German wasp. So far I have not experienced their fury yet, but there are an awful lot of them in the trees around my house, collecting honeydew secreted by scale insects.

Thanks for warning me.

Paul
paul h

S. Alden
Site Admin

Post by S. Alden »

Sure does look like the "yellow-jacket" and they can be mean. Nice image and nice to see the "other" side of this guy.
Sue Alden
Administrator
Repost of my images are welcome

arvindr

Post by arvindr »

This combination is really cool - the 'sky' and the belly of this wasp - or Yellow Jacket as Sue says.

I love the colours and details.
Arvind from Bangalore

JakobG

Post by JakobG »

Very novel perspective, very neat!
Jakob

Remember: It takes a big man to cry, but it takes an even bigger man to laugh at that man...

Ken Ramos
Site Admin

Post by Ken Ramos »

Yeeep! That'sa Yeller Jacket fer shure there Paul. Don't hurt real bad when they sting ya but they sure itch like h..ll after they do. I mowed a bunch of em' last fall, gave em' that lawn mower! :shock:
Site Admin.
Kenneth Ramos
Rutherfordton, North Carolina
Kens Microscopy
Reposts of my images within the galleries are welcome, as are constructive critical critiques.