Torrey Pine pollen

Post your images made through a compound microscope or made with a stereo/dissecting microscope in this gallery. Images may be of any subject natural or unnatural, living or non-living.

Moderators: MacroMike, nzmacro, Ken Ramos, twebster, S. Alden

piotr

Torrey Pine pollen

Post by piotr »

Torrey Pine (Pinus torreyana) is a species of pine native to Southern California, it only grows (natively) in coastal part of San Diego and on Santa Rosa island. I work for an institute located on Torrey Pines road and these trees are quite common here!

Pictured below is Torrey Pine pollen (using 25x/N.A.0.60 objective). I added a drop of immersion oil to make the pollen transparent.

Piotr

Ken Ramos
Site Admin

Post by Ken Ramos »

I run across yellow pine pollen around here. It looks similar to the photograph you have posted here but I never could get anything to clarify it. A nice shot Piotr. :D
Site Admin.
Kenneth Ramos
Rutherfordton, North Carolina
Kens Microscopy
Reposts of my images within the galleries are welcome, as are constructive critical critiques.

Frez

Post by Frez »

I see this stuff too and always wondered if it was pollen. Thanks for clarifying.

Frez

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

Very similar to the pollen of fir trees in appearance (which are in abundance here in the PNW). Like others, I found it in my water samples and wondered what it was for a long time. It is interesting how immersion oil can "clear" the color of pollens.

Wim van Egmond

Post by Wim van Egmond »

Nice results, Piotr!!! Now I hope you'll start to do microbes soon. I've got hay fever! :)

Wim