Pond life on Duckweed

Post your images made through a compound microscope or made with a stereo/dissecting microscope in this gallery. Images may be of any subject natural or unnatural, living or non-living.

Moderators: MacroMike, nzmacro, Ken Ramos, twebster, S. Alden

Frez

Pond life on Duckweed

Post by Frez »

Here are some critters that were living on the edges of some Duckweed. Thriving at the surface of still ponds, Duckweed in a haven for many different types of micro life.

Thanks
Frez

Ken Ramos
Site Admin

Post by Ken Ramos »

Some nice images Frez. :D I like the first one the best. The second looks like you swiped it off an "O"scope. :lol: If I am not mistaken it appears as though you can see the nucleus of the algae in between the filiamnets. :D
Site Admin.
Kenneth Ramos
Rutherfordton, North Carolina
Kens Microscopy
Reposts of my images within the galleries are welcome, as are constructive critical critiques.

Frez

Post by Frez »

Nice call on the nucleus. I hadn't seen it. Stalked cilates and other moving objects are a problem for the DP10. It just can't stop motion fast enough for a clear image and does't have provisions to sync with a flash.

bernhardinho

Post by bernhardinho »

Hi Frez,

I love the first one too. It should be a Gomphonema, isn't it? Really beuatiful colours.

Bernhard

Frez

Post by Frez »

Hi Bernhard

Yes, those are Gomphonema. The red is caused by EPI fluorescence. By using strong filters from the transmitted source, I am able to create a balance between the two. Here is the same specimen with a different transmitted filter.

Frez

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

Wonderful Frez. I particularly like the shots with the "balanced" transmitted/EPI-fluor combinations. Too often with EPI-fluor the context of what you are seeing can sometimes be confusing... but this works great.