stereotic diatomy

Post your images made through a compound microscope or made with a stereo/dissecting microscope in this gallery. Images may be of any subject natural or unnatural, living or non-living.

Moderators: MacroMike, nzmacro, Ken Ramos, twebster, S. Alden

rene

stereotic diatomy

Post by rene »

Stereo the simple way: cover left part of condenser entrance, take pic, cover right part and take pic again. Works nicely!

This a bit of an oversight picture, taken with 20/0.7 planapo. The big cylinders are Guinardia flaccida, a chain of Rhizosolenia delicatula (dinoflagellate on the right) and Rhizosolenia shrubsolei on the bottom. Live sample, coastal waters between the Netherlands and Germany, 20 April 2006.

Rene.

rjlittlefield

Post by rjlittlefield »

Very nice! Really gives me a feel for the cylinder shape of these things.

I suppose next you'll be stacking each view and giving us everything in focus? :D

What causes the two views to have different colors?

--Rik

rene

Post by rene »

rjlittlefield wrote:I suppose next you'll be stacking each view and giving us everything in focus? :D
Thought of that, tried it before also but didn't work at the time. Sould do it again carefully with something dead, but I have the sneaky suspicion that there might be more to it...

W
hat causes the two views to have different colors?
Ehmmm, practicalities. Covering condenser entrance slightly less gives some difference in brightness, also the 1cm high cuvet wall blocks some light if imaging in the outer 1/3 of the cuvet.

Rene.

piotr

Post by piotr »

Amazing 3D effect! It's like looking from the inside.
Piotr