More live marine diatoms

Post your images made through a compound microscope or made with a stereo/dissecting microscope in this gallery. Images may be of any subject natural or unnatural, living or non-living.

Moderators: MacroMike, nzmacro, Ken Ramos, twebster, S. Alden

Charles Krebs

More live marine diatoms

Post by Charles Krebs »

Two more shots from the saltwater sample I took a few days ago. I liked the "setting" of the top image... diatoms attached to other diatoms.

The lower image is a close look at the connection between two Rhabdonema (thanks Wim for the ID!). It was taken with the 100X. The DIC prism I have for 100X is designated for a different objective than I have, so I can't be sure if it is optimal, but it does seem to give a decent DIC effect.

Wim van Egmond

Post by Wim van Egmond »

Nice, nice, nice! Great to see you are doing marine. Did you also try plankton?

I have not tried much with the 100X. I do know that you don't always need the matching prisms. I use teh 16X prism for the 40X and the 40X prism for the 25X:)

Wim

rene

Post by rene »

Beautiful as ever, Charlie.

When I had access to a Leitz interference contrast, the 10x didn't have a prism, but with the condenser prism (40x) only produced good nomarski-effect. Don't really know why and how...
Optics, huh... More of an art sometime.

Do you know the id of the filament at the right in the top pic?? The other one a Melosira?

Rene.