3d starfish

Post your images made through a compound microscope or made with a stereo/dissecting microscope in this gallery. Images may be of any subject natural or unnatural, living or non-living.

Moderators: MacroMike, nzmacro, Ken Ramos, twebster, S. Alden

Wim van Egmond

3d starfish

Post by Wim van Egmond »

This is a 3D image of a living starfish larva. From the archive, I made it years ago. Instead of the polar filter trick I shifted the diaphragm of the condensor which was a phase condensor. It worked best with the diaphragm closed quite narrow. The first one is for parallel viewing, the second for cross eyed. I hope you can see the effect. The depth is a bit exaggerated.

Wim

rjlittlefield

Post by rjlittlefield »

Wim, this works great! On my monitor, the parallel pair is almost too big to fuse without a viewer. (My interocular distance is about 60mm, the image separation is 80mm, so I have to go pretty wall-eyed to fuse it.) But cross-eyed is no problem, and the little Wheatstone viewer works well on the parallel.

I'm impressed that you could get this animal to hold still long enough to shoot a stereo pair. Are they just quiet, or did you catch it in a good moment, or did you do something to it?

--Rik

rene

Post by rene »

Nice clean shot Wim! Great subject for this. Large detail, even with one unsharp eye I can see it nicely cross-eyed, both combinations end up the same btw. Am seriously considering contact lens by now.

Rene.

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

Wim... this works impressively well! Do I understand correctly... you rotated the condenser aperture slightly to either side of "center", so that in effect you had oblique from "left" and then from "right"?

Wim van Egmond

Post by Wim van Egmond »

Nice to hear you can all see the effect. Yes, just a slight shift is enough but I had to close the condensor doiaphragm a lot so it does not create oblique. It is against the rules but for 3D you need a lot of depth of field.

Since I only recently accuired a flash in the past year I became a bit of an expert in waiting until the organism was motionless:) Starfish larvae swim very slowly. It is a matter of trapping it against the coverslip just without distorting the organism.

I'll see if I can make some new images like this. It is fun to do.

Wim

Frez

Post by Frez »

The crossed eyed works extremely well for me. How do I see the parallel?

Frez

piotr

Post by piotr »

Frez, I think it depends how your eyes are "trained". I'm a "parallel-eyed person", too! :-)

Great images! Impressive 3D effect.
Piotr