Images from the Tank

Post your images made through a compound microscope or made with a stereo/dissecting microscope in this gallery. Images may be of any subject natural or unnatural, living or non-living.

Moderators: MacroMike, nzmacro, Ken Ramos, twebster, S. Alden

Ken Ramos
Site Admin

Images from the Tank

Post by Ken Ramos »

About two months ago I started a small 2 1/2 gallon aquarium. I took water from a creek up in the mountains, Curtis Creek, along with some sand, pebbles,and small rocks. To this I added a small sample of moss which was growing partially submerged in the stream and the rest on top of a few stones. For over one month nothing seemed to happen much in the tank. Most of the nymphs that lived in there died out, probably due to the heat and other conditons which are mentioned below. The tank temperture is roughly 78 degrees F. and it is aireated to keep up the dissolved oxygen levels.

Now two months and a few days later, this is what has transpired within my small aquatic ecosystem.

Not only do I have an abundance of algae but there are also cyanobacteria begining to develop in the tank, along with vorticella, numerous flagellates, and water fleas.

Some time back, maybe a year or so, I posed the question as to why I had better luck collecting samples in the colder winter months than in the summer. It seemed that during the wintertime here in the mountains, there was an abundance of protists to be found and numerous species of them. However when the weather began to warm, this abundance of protozoa declined sharply. I think I may have found my answer while researching the Mayfly nymph.

Protozoa and all benthic macro invertebrates rely on a certain amount of dissolved oxygen in the water for their survival and well being. The warmer the water becomes the less the amount of dissolved oxygen (DO). Without a reasonable level of DO these organisms will soon die out, much the same as what sometimes happens to putrid plant infusions. However there are certain organisms which can tolerate low DO levels. During my research on the Mayfly nymphs it was stated in several publications that the colder the water, the higher that the dissolved oxygen levels will be and the macro invertebrates will thrive better in cooler waters than in warm. Which explains why my Mayfly nymphs in the aquarium died but it may be that protozoa are affected by this also, which goes back to my seasonal observations during collections. So the success of the collection of numerous species of protozoa may well depend upon two things or so it seems here in the mountains. The water temperature and the amount of dissolved oxygen. The lower the water temperature, the higher the DO level and the greater the chance of collecting a diverse assemblage of protozoa. :)
Site Admin.
Kenneth Ramos
Rutherfordton, North Carolina
Kens Microscopy
Reposts of my images within the galleries are welcome, as are constructive critical critiques.

Kenv

Post by Kenv »

Colourful images Ken, and a very interesting chat.
Kenv
Ken

Ken Ramos
Site Admin

Post by Ken Ramos »

Thanks Ken for your commets :D I should mention that my observations are based on lotic environments such as mountain streams and not on lentic waters such as lakes and ponds. However the broader the body of water in lentic systems, the greater the surface area for wind currents to stir the water and increase the amount of dissolved oxygen in those systems. It would be nice if I had a way to refrigerate my tank to increase the DO level and see what may develop in its waters. :)
Site Admin.
Kenneth Ramos
Kens Microscopy
Reposts of my images within the galleries are welcome, as are constructive critical critiques.

Garry DeLong

Post by Garry DeLong »

Ken,
Small world. Here in Oregon, we put a goldfish-coy tank in our greenhouse. Algae have grown to love it and it's a constant and dependable source of protists. It, too, is aireated. The algael structure (the club shape) in your upper left photo seems identical to what I have seen numerous times in our tank here. I have photos and may even have 3 images that may allow me to do a layered photo if you're interested in seeing it. The appearance of the algae filaments in your other images is also consistant with what I've seen. Our tank also sports two different amoebas, various desmids and diatoms, Vorticella, lots of hypotrichs, and of course several species of ever-ubiquitious rotifers. An additional stimulus to growth has been several water hyacinths (Eichhornia crassipes) floating on the top of the the tank. Vorticella like to colonize the floating roots of this plant and the fish browse these roots, seemingly plucking off the Vorticella like grapes.
Garry DeLong

Ken Ramos
Site Admin

Post by Ken Ramos »

An interesting bit of information there Gary. I would be interested in seeing a post of what you have there. At what temperature is the water in your coy tank?

I just posted a reply to Kens comments and it got me to thinking that maybe if I placed my tank in a styrofoam cooler and packed ice around the outside of the tank it may stay cool for a few days, replacing the ice now and then of course and that should raise my DO levels to where I could replicate the original conditions, in relation to temperature, of the mountain stream from which I developed my tank. Maybe even get a "hatch" of Mayflies. :lol:

Thanks for the comments and for the information Gary, will be looking forward to your images. :D
Site Admin.
Kenneth Ramos
Kens Microscopy

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

No fair Ken... now you won't even get your feet muddy collecting samples to look at! 78 degrees seems pretty warm. I would think that would heavily impact what populations exist there. It would be fun to set up two identical tanks (as much as is possible), "stock" them, but keep them at two significantly different temperatures and see what develops over time.

Ken Ramos
Site Admin

Post by Ken Ramos »

That would be a good idea Charlie. I am wondering if the pet stores may have a cooling apperatus for an aquarium, that one might purchase, to do such a thing. :D
Site Admin.
Kenneth Ramos
Kens Microscopy

cassian

Just a thought...

Post by cassian »

Just a thought...

Ken, it is quite easy to cool a 'small' tank, say less than 10L, by aiming a fan/fans at the water. This creates an evaporative cooling effect and with a small tank can decrease water temperatures by 8 or 9 degrees C or more. I don't know if this is the sort of temperature difference Charles is refering to, but it has worked for me in the past when I have had to cool a small tank in high summer to get a pair of broody fish to "do the do", when all else has failed! Plus it is a lot easier than installing a cooling coil and easier to maintain than periodic submergence of iced mineral water bottles :lol:

piotr

Post by piotr »

A very nice little environment you have there, Ken. Beautiful algae pictures.

Actually, there are aquarium chillers made for marine aquaria. Prices range from $100 to $$$$ (see here). I think it shouldn't be too difficult to made a little chiller by yourself using a Peltier element and a little heatsink+fan.
Piotr

Ken Ramos
Site Admin

Post by Ken Ramos »

Thanks for the comments gentlemen and the suggestions. Looks like the couple of fans may be in order. Those cooling devices look like they would use a lot of energy running 24hrs. a day, but it's still a thought. :)
Site Admin.
Kenneth Ramos
Kens Microscopy

twebster
Site Admin

Post by twebster »

Hi y'all :D

I know how to make a pretty efficient tank cooler but it does require some engineering and some coils of 1/4" to 1/2" copper tubing, some nalgene tubing, a 12 volt DC water pump, and one of those very small apartment refigerators, the kind that are about 3' high and 2' in the other dimensions. I cooled 3 small 10 gal tanks with this setup for a friend who was doing a Master's project on some small, coldspring minners.

1) Get a piece of sheet styrofoam 1/2" thick and cut it to fit the outside dimensions of the bottom of the tank.

2) Get a 25' coil of 1/4" or 1/2" (preferred) copper tubing and wind it back and forth like a snake so that the windings fit the inside dimension of the bottom of the aquarium. The bottom of the aquarium is recessed and needs to sit on top of the windings. The copper windings will be placed under the aquarium on top of the styrofoam. The styrofoam becomes an insulator and a pad at one time.

3) Cut two long lengths of nalgene tubing and attach to the copper tubing. Cut notches in the styrofoam so that the nalgene tubing can runout from under the aquarium without kinking.

4) Get the largest bucket that will fit inside the apartment-sized refrigerator and fill it with water. Drill a couple of holes in the door for the nalgene tubing to pass through and connect the nalgene tubing to the free ends of the remaining copper coil. Submerse the coil of copper tubing in the bucket of water. The nalgene tubing has to be long enough to run from the aquarium to the fridge. Actually, if you only run one tank, you can set the tank up on top of the fridge.

5) Cut one of the lengths of nalgene tubing and install a 12 Volt DC water pump. You may have to play around with different fittings to be able to fit the tubing on the pump but it's not too difficult. Now, fill the copper tubing and nalgene tubing as full of water as possible.

What we've just constructed is a very efficient heat exchanger. Set the fridge to the temperature that you want for the water. The temperature of the water in the bucket stabilizes to the temperature of the fridge and cools the water passing through the coil of copper tubing. The 12 volt DC pump keeps recirculating water from under the tank through the coil of tubing in the fridge. This cooled water is then pumped to the copper windings in contact with the bottom of the aquarium and cools the water in the aquarium. To make it even more efficient, install a simple under-gravel filter in the aquarium. This will lift cooler water to the top of the tank and will help to uniformly stabilize the temperature of the aquarium from top to bottom.

I was able to keep 3, 10 gallon tanks at 40°F, +/- 2°F in a lab that averaged about 80-84°F. We found the fridge at a thrift store and, after buying the tubing and nalgene, the pump, and a few fittings, had just about $100 invested in it. Cool :!: (Literally :!: ) :D

Best regards to all as always, :D
Tom Webster
Administrator

Phoenix "The Valley of the Sun", Arizona, USA

Think about this...maybe Murphy is an optimist!!!

cassian

Post by cassian »

nice work! there you go then!

:)

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

hmmm.... Tom....

Wouldn't it be easier to just take a cold Corona out of the refrigerator every so often and stick it in the tank? 8)

cassian

Post by cassian »

But Charles, surely that is a waste of a good cold Corona?!!

But then again... :wink:

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

cassian,

I'm not saying leave it there too long, just while you're slicing up the lime. :wink: