Images from the Tank

Post your images made through a compound microscope or made with a stereo/dissecting microscope in this gallery. Images may be of any subject natural or unnatural, living or non-living.

Moderators: MacroMike, nzmacro, Ken Ramos, twebster, S. Alden

Ken Ramos
Site Admin

Post by Ken Ramos »

A very novel idea Tom :D Seems as though it would also be energy efficent and we would not have to place the bottle of ice cold Corona in the tank. Hey Charlie, ya got those limes sliced yet? :D
Site Admin.
Kenneth Ramos
Rutherfordton, North Carolina
Kens Microscopy
Reposts of my images within the galleries are welcome, as are constructive critical critiques.

twebster
Site Admin

Post by twebster »

Hi ya' Charlie :D

Empty Corona cans don't chill the water much. I could never get a full can to the aquarium :!: :D

Ken and Cassian :D

Don't listen to Charlie. Lime juice ain't good for the aquarium. It lowers the ph of the water and you end up with a citrus bog. :D

You guys :!: :!: :!: :!: :D :D :D
Tom Webster
Administrator

Phoenix "The Valley of the Sun", Arizona, USA

Think about this...maybe Murphy is an optimist!!!

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

Tom,
... Corona cans ...
Cans?!?!?
C'mon Tom, everyone knows its gotta be long necks. And here I thought you had some experience with this aquarium cooling stuff!

twebster
Site Admin

Post by twebster »

Sorry, Charlie :oops:

I quit drinking 7 years ago. I forgot beer came in bottles, too. :D Longnecks :?: Oh :!: OK :!: The tops stick up above the water so you don't get your fingers wet :!: Right :?:

Aren't we a bunch of goofballs :!: :shock: :D
Tom Webster
Administrator

Phoenix "The Valley of the Sun", Arizona, USA

Think about this...maybe Murphy is an optimist!!!

piotr

Post by piotr »

Ken, you can use these cute little Coronas (Coronitas?) - they seem to be perfectly fitted for your 2.5 g tank... well, time for another one.
Piotr

Garry DeLong

Post by Garry DeLong »

ImageImage

The details of the algae are quite similar to your images. The club-shaped object is also very similar. I'm wondering if this is a conjugation tube and if other filamentous algae have similar appearing structures. If not, perhaps we are actually looking at the same organism? Temperatures in the tank range from about 50-80 deg F and varies with the ambient temp in the greenhouse. Tank vol=35 gal.
Garry DeLong

Ken Ramos
Site Admin

Post by Ken Ramos »

The club shaped object seems to be consistant with Gonatozygon, which is the algae that is in my tank and also appears to be in yours also. It maybe that it is a gamete/gametophyte or some form of germ cell probably. Good photographs Gary, got any of micro critters from the coy pond? You know some protozoa and other parasites reside on the gills of fish and some mycological (fungal) specimens. If you have a goldfish that is expendable it maybe worth a scrape on the gills and be sure to examine the stomach and intestines, coy are pretty expensive to be scraping and gutting around on. :)
Site Admin.
Kenneth Ramos
Rutherfordton, North Carolina
Kens Microscopy
Reposts of my images within the galleries are welcome, as are constructive critical critiques.

Garry DeLong

Post by Garry DeLong »

Ken,
I have lots more visual stuff from the greenhouse tank, both still and video. Video (mpg) files are big, requiring a broadband connection or, if dialup, a lot of user patience. Today, I sent email to my website host asking about additional online "disk space." I'll put some video up as soon as I can make the arrangements.
I need some feedback on psuedo-DIC (emboss), the particulars of which I will post in the technical forum area.
Garry DeLong