Collotheca

Post your images made through a compound microscope or made with a stereo/dissecting microscope in this gallery. Images may be of any subject natural or unnatural, living or non-living.

Moderators: MacroMike, nzmacro, Ken Ramos, twebster, S. Alden

gpmatthews

Collotheca

Post by gpmatthews »

Looking for some Vorticella to try out darkground on, I took some filamentous algae from the garden pond. It was full of these tube dwelling rotifers (no Vorticella!).

This was taken with the following set-up:

Projectina Microscope
Ocular: Projectina x10 phot
Objective: Projectina x10 achromat
DG illumination with substage wheelstop
Sample from garden pond 13 May 2004
Combination of two images of different exposure to achieve visibility of both the cilia and the body and tube.
Camera: Canon Powershot S50
Graham

Ken Ramos
Site Admin

Post by Ken Ramos »

You know Graham, I have been hoping myself to find some of those but have never been fortunate enough. I kind of get mad at Rotifers because after sometime they begin to dominate a culture, just like Chilomonas paramecium, but that is a very good photo. There are some Rotifers, although, that are absolutly beautiful. I like the stellar effect of darkfield microscopy, once again, you did a good job I like it. Maybe I should take another trip across the "pond" and collect a few, what do you think?
Site Admin.
Kenneth Ramos
Rutherfordton, North Carolina
Kens Microscopy
Reposts of my images within the galleries are welcome, as are constructive critical critiques.

gpmatthews

Post by gpmatthews »

Every sample from every place seems to hold a few surprises - keep collecting at every opportunity!
Graham

piotr

Post by piotr »

Great picture and amazing subject! I really like all these loricate, testate and tube-dwelling animals :-)
Piotr

gpmatthews

Post by gpmatthews »

I have now put a gallery of Collotheca pictures on my website. You can access the gallery directly, without navigating the rest of the site, at:

http://www.gpmatthews.nildram.co.uk/ani ... index1.htm

Let me know what you think...
Graham

Ken Ramos
Site Admin

Post by Ken Ramos »

Went to your site, great photos :!: I especially liked the second one of Collotheca in darkfield. :)
Site Admin.
Kenneth Ramos
Rutherfordton, North Carolina
Kens Microscopy
Reposts of my images within the galleries are welcome, as are constructive critical critiques.

micron

Collotheca Images

Post by micron »

Hi Ken,

Followed your lead and decided to post some of my Collotheca pics as this a fascinating animal. The image labeling is draft and should be updated shortly.

http://www.microimaging.ca/Collotheca/index.html

All the best,
Ron

gpmatthews

Post by gpmatthews »

Wonderful photos, Ron - I'm quite jealous!

It really is a fascinating creature.
Graham

micron

Collotheca

Post by micron »

Hi Graham,

Thank you for the compliments – believe me these few are the end result of a lot of imaging (boy these digital files can mount up!), and varying degrees of post capture “diddling”. As you pointed out on Yahoo – I too am amazed at the quality of Charlie Kreb’s oblique BF images of this rotifer. For those interested he has posted them at -
http://c-krebs.home.comcast.net/0003/rotifindex.html

Incidentally I returned to the bog after several days of intense rain and found that the Collotheca populations had recovered nicely (they collapsed after a period of dry weather). My guess is they require acidic, relatively “clean” water. My hope is to have the water chemistry done by a local lab – as this is the only habitat I have found them in so far.

All the best,
Ron