Your opinion please..

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: MacroMike, nzmacro, Ken Ramos, twebster, S. Alden

nephiliim

Your opinion please..

Post by nephiliim »

Hey folks,

Found this on the internet, maybe something for me to put on my dad's analog SLR. What do you think of it?

http://www.viewmasterqueen.com/macro.html

All the best,

Tom B
Sometimes smaller is better!
*nodge nodge :D*

Comments and advice always welcome
My little website

st_m

Post by st_m »

Looks nice, but of course you cannot expect the quality you get from a "real" macro lens.
Just a warning: As I understand the description, the whole assembly is attached to a camera cap, not a real lens mount. If that's true, then there is no way to control aperture electronically. Some SLR's (at least most Nikon SLRs; about other makes I don't know, but I guess, it should be the same), don't work without an electronically controllable lens attached, and refuse taking photos at all.

MikeBinOKlahoma

Post by MikeBinOKlahoma »

If I interpret the link right (and I may not be understanding properly) this assembly has to be at VERY close distance to the subject to focus properly.

Assuming your father already has some lenses for his SLR, I'd think you'd be better off figuring out which lens is currently closest-focusing (has highest magnification on its own) and buy a regular diopter such as a Canon 500D or a Nikon 5T or 6T to put on it.

I must admit that this is based on instinct and my interpretation of the very non-specific advertisement, not direct knowledge of the equipment.
Mike Broderick

(reposts on this site of my images for critique or instruction are welcome)

nephiliim

Post by nephiliim »

That was what I was thinking to, but then again, I believe that the close range is only nescessary when using the lubot loupe.. but I'm not sure about that.

Thank you for your advice

My little website

GreenLarry

Post by GreenLarry »

Might be handy if you have a good camera phone.

nephiliim

Post by nephiliim »

Hahahahahahahaha :D:D

My little website

nzmacro
Site Admin

Post by nzmacro »

I honestly think the $76 US would be better spent on something else. I would be worried about the lenses in them being corrected for what you want to be honest Tom. Unless you can try before you buy, which you obviously can't. I've seen similar ideas sold for the smaller digital cameras and I've also see the comments and reviews on these smaller gadgets :shock: :shock: :roll: , not always a good idea M8t.

Take a look at second hand lenses with old mounts, even if they need a clean. Pull them apart and use the front elements to add to an existing lens. Here they are not expensive Tom. Old Canon FD mount lenses can be found cheaply. The glass is top class of course. Same with old Nikkor lenses.

Anyway, just my opinion.

All the best Tom. :D

Danny.

nephiliim

Post by nephiliim »

Yeah, I wasn't too sure about the quality of the lenses myself to. Just wanted to know if anyone had any experience with these thingamajigs. Everything I hear is negative, and indeed for that money I allmost have a second hand AF macro lens to put on there.

So thanks everyone for your pitch-in.

All the best,

Tom B

My little website