macro lens for the 350d

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: MacroMike, nzmacro, Ken Ramos, twebster, S. Alden

easty-uk

macro lens for the 350d

Post by easty-uk »

Hi there
I'm new to the world of photography, in fact I started maybe two years ago when our son was born. I bought a simple 4mp point and shoot camera mainly for taking pictures of the family.

I have looked at many, many web sites and forums looking at images that people have captured but macro photography has fascinated me the most.

I decided to take the step from point and shoot to dslr, and two weeks ago I bought the canon 350d. Now comes the question: what macro lens can you recommend for this camera ? I would love to be able to capture images like the ones contained on this web site, there are hundreds of fascinating shots and I am spending hours looking at them. If one day, with alot of practice and alittle knowledge I manage to capture images like these, I will be very happy indeed.

Any help with this question will be greatfully received.
thank's in advance.
Tony.

GreenLarry

Post by GreenLarry »

It really depends on the subject your photographing.
If you intend to shoot stuff like butterflies or other creatures that will be hard to get close to youd be better with a 100mm upwards, (180mm is usually THE lens but is expensive!) as this gives a better working distance while magnifying the same amount.

If you only photograph static subjects or plants, then a 50mm would do, altho getting too close can put shadows on the subject when shooting in sunlight. This will be a lot chepar, tho theyre still not cheap (I got my 100mm vivitar/Cosina for free from a friend but you can get one for about $150-200)

Bear in mind that on a digital the focal length of the lens will increase somewhat due to the sensor being smaller than a frame of 35mm film, which will help

Sergio Zalewska

Post by Sergio Zalewska »

Best result for the price is the Sigma 105/2.8 macro lens, able to go up to 1:1, really good resolution