Shopping for Microscopes - Newbie

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: MacroMike, nzmacro, Ken Ramos, twebster, S. Alden

JBAustin

Shopping for Microscopes - Newbie

Post by JBAustin »

Greetings Everyone,

I'm on a quest for my own personal microscope. I have been reading ALL types of articles and suggestions, including what on this website. What I have found out so far is that my hobbies are not cheap. So here a summary of what I'm looking at doing and would like to get. Hopefully I don't boar you with my details.

I'm a computer geek and a science freak, love to watch all those PBS show about things like Extremophiles. I also like doing photography on the side, have a digital camera and a new CCD camcorder. What I would like to do now is explore the world of pond scum or single cell organisms. Would also like to hook the microscope up to the PC where I can record or take digital pictures.

After doing some research, I feel that I might go through a 2 step process of putting a system together. First I'll get a good microscope, and then I'll work on a camera device that connects to my laptop by USB. I have seen those ebay microscopes, but everyone says there not good, which is why they are cheap. So I'm avoiding the ebay stuff just to be safe.

Here an idea on what I can want and can purchase.

1. Looking at a Microscope of $1000 or less.
2. Want the microscope to support Digital or Video connection.
3. Like the able to upgrade if possible.
4. Like microscopes that support dark light background. (I know, cost)
5. Will be looking at items like amoebas. (Pond Scum).

At this time I have been looking at Lomo and Olympus brands.

Thank You for your Input,

JB
Austin, Texas

Ken Ramos
Site Admin

Post by Ken Ramos »

Hello J.B. First of all I would like to welcome you to the forums, it is always a pleasure to greet new members and hear of their interests. :D

So, you are shopping for a new or maybe a used microscope. Well, everyone of our members here could give you excellent advice on what to purchase and where to purchase it. I could sing the praises of my scope but I do that too much from time to time already and I would prefer to have some of our members to chime in on theirs.

You may want to read and join in on this thread http://www.photomacrography1.net/forum/ ... php?t=3661
in our forum for the moment. It is a question or questions from one of our members who is contemplating the same thing as you. Also in our Articles section you may want to read an article by our distinguished editor Tom Webster, "The Worlds Best Microscope."
http://www.photomacrography1.net/amateu ... s_best.htm I highly recommend this article because it has opened my eyes to how I look at microscopes, especially my own. :D
Site Admin.
Kenneth Ramos
Rutherfordton, North Carolina
Kens Microscopy
Reposts of my images within the galleries are welcome, as are constructive critical critiques.

rjlittlefield

Post by rjlittlefield »

JB,

I have no personal experience with any microscopes made in this century, but for several months I have been tracking discussions both in this forum and in Yahoo's Microscope group (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Microscope/).

Those discussions suggest you would be well served by either brand that you mention. Lomo in particular seems to be called out as combining good quality with reasonable price for new instruments. (No surprise, given the relative states of Russian optics and the Russian economy.)

You might want to tap into the Yahoo group as well. They seem friendly and considerate to newbies, and have a wealth of knowledge to share. (As does this group too :D :!: , but more information is always better, yes?)

--Rik