Any thoughts on the Canon 5D?

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: MacroMike, nzmacro, Ken Ramos, twebster, S. Alden

S. Alden
Site Admin

Any thoughts on the Canon 5D?

Post by S. Alden »

http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/contro ... elid=11933

Yep, I am thinking about it :lol:, which means it will be ready for replacement by the time I get around to actually buying it :roll: . And, maybe not. I have been off-on with the 20D, but this 5D looks interesting.
Sue Alden
Administrator
Repost of my images are welcome

twebster
Site Admin

Post by twebster »

Too expensive! :D
Tom Webster
Administrator

Phoenix "The Valley of the Sun", Arizona, USA

Think about this...maybe Murphy is an optimist!!!

MikeBinOKlahoma

Post by MikeBinOKlahoma »

The viewfinder is apparently similar to the 1-series bodies, which means it will blow you away compared to the D60.

I'd plan on either racing to buy one in the initial release, or figuring on waiting a couple of months. From the superficial info we have, it appears to be excellent, but only user experience will tell for sure.

It doesn't have the crop factor of the D60 or 20D, which can be an advantage or a disadvantage depending on whether you are shooting landscapes or doing telephoto work with birds and large mammals.

The above is pretty obvious stuff. One thing that is less obvious is that the lens only autofocuses with f/5.6 lens combinations. I thing you have a 100-400 lens, if I remember right. If you put a 1.4x teleconverter on it, it will NOT autofocus on the 5D.

If you have the money to spend, and want a full-frame camera, I'd say go for it. I do love my 1Ds, even though I can't honestly say it was worth the money in a logical sense. (Getting a used 1Ds mark 1 is an offbeat option, by the way--Some advantages and disadvantages vs. the 5D). And I suspect the price will be similar soon, if it isn't already.
Mike Broderick

(reposts on this site of my images for critique or instruction are welcome)

Erland

Post by Erland »

Yeah, it really is expensive, but I would love to get one and a MP-E 65. But I will wait a bit, I got a 10D and it works fine with sigma 150 and 180.
You know that DSLR purchases are a dicease like gambling and stuff, right ? You never know when to stop :D

I am used to 10D viewfinder (been using canon 500N though), and must say that that viewing through a 1D Mark II (1,3 crop) on dragonflies, as I tried a few times out with a Texan friend, I know now that 1,6 crop viewfinders are small :(
what I wrote in another thread conserning 20D purchase:

Concerning the new 5D, this brings lower pixeldensity than the 10D and much less than 20D. This full frame DSLR is for me though very interesting coupled with the MP-E 65, as the world will start from 36x24 mm, and not from a 1,6 crop of that. Makes it possible to shoot a complete insect of larger size, and the lower pixeldensity is more than compensated by the abillity to go to 5:1 macro.

Erland

nzmacro
Site Admin

Post by nzmacro »

Alexandre at NSN was impressed with the build and solidity of it Sue. I wouldn't go into cost, because thats all relative to the person and what they want. He likened the weight and build more to the 1D rather than the 20D. I had a play here with a 1D MKII from Marshall black when he stayed here, man they are a heavy beast but just ooze quality in the feel. So if the 5D is like that, its a beauty. I would tend to wait as well and see what it does to the cost of other cameras and how much it will be after a few months on the market. It might just drop quite a bit.

All the best Sue. :D

Danny.

S. Alden
Site Admin

Post by S. Alden »

Thanks for the replies. I have been reading about the camera and still very undecided. I need lightweight since I have crushed shoulder caps and the weight is a pain factor. I will still keep my D60, it is my love, but would like a second camera just in case something happens to my D60.
Sue Alden
Administrator

Post by Guest »

S. Alden wrote: I need lightweight since I have crushed shoulder caps and the weight is a pain factor. I will still keep my D60, it is my love, but would like a second camera just in case something happens to my D60.
A quick check on the internet comes up with the following weights:

5D 895 grams
20D 770 grams
D60 855 grams
1Ds 1265 grams

(all weights include battery).

The 5D is about one ounce heavier than the D60. Not an appreciable difference in my opinion.

I've been disciplining myself to resist the techgeek urges and marketing-driven desire to upgrade at every opportunity, but sometimes things have moved along enough to justify an upgrade. If you think you're at this point (sounds to me like you are!) the choice between the 20D and the 5D is one you have to decide on. The viewfinders on the larger cameras sure seem easier to use to me, and the extra megapixels are nice. Whether this is worth $2000 (or whatever the difference is) to you is another matter.

I have my 1Ds as a main camera now, with the 10D as a seldom-used backup. When Canon comes out with an equivalent to the newest Nikon (1.6 crop, about 12 megapixel sensor-probably the "30D") I plan to purchase it for long-range telephoto of mammals and the occasional bird. It will basically be co-equal with my 1Ds. Then my aspiration is to not upgrade cameras for a long time!

Mike B in OKlahoma

mowse

Post by mowse »

Whichever you choose from that list, I'm sure that you'll take amazing photos either way. The market has become flooded with cheap 10d's lately. Keep that in mind :D

S. Alden
Site Admin

Post by S. Alden »

mowse wrote:Whichever you choose from that list, I'm sure that you'll take amazing photos either way. The market has become flooded with cheap 10d's lately. Keep that in mind :D
I have been looking at those :D . Did you get a 10D :?: :lol:
Sue Alden
Administrator

MikeBinOKlahoma

Post by MikeBinOKlahoma »

S. Alden wrote:
mowse wrote:Whichever you choose from that list, I'm sure that you'll take amazing photos either way. The market has become flooded with cheap 10d's lately. Keep that in mind :D
I have been looking at those :D . Did you get a 10D :?: :lol:
I succumbed to marketing, and got a 10D to supplement my D60 when the 10D first came out. 10D is definitely a better camera, but I don't think it is enough better than the D60 to be worth the bother and expense. High ISO performance is definitely better, and autofocus is somewhat better. Otherwise, not much difference.

If you were thinking in that cost range, I'd consider a Rebel XT.
Mike Broderick

(reposts on this site of my images for critique or instruction are welcome)

S. Alden
Site Admin

Post by S. Alden »

I was thinking in the 20D price range. I do not really want to go that much for the 5D right now. But I am thinking again :roll:
Sue Alden
Administrator