More ID help needed

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: MacroMike, nzmacro, Ken Ramos, twebster, S. Alden

Garry DeLong

More ID help needed

Post by Garry DeLong »

A small publishing company of nature films has expressed an interest in using some of my microscopic video footage, so I need to get my organism IDs as precise as possible: so here are some lores screen dumps--I apologize for the poor quality. I'd appreciate any help
This flagellate is about 31 microns along its longest axis. Two flagella can be dimly seen extending to the right. They are very active and much longer than is seen here. There are also two structures extending out to the left. One is another flagellum that seems to always want to trail towards the posterior. The other structure seems to be an anchor. It's attached to the substratum. It actually coils as the protist moves. The flagellate almost became entangled in it at one point.

I am confident that this is a rotifer, but is it an egg (new organism) or a cyst (a survived organism?) The material inside is very active. The eyespot can be seen as a very dark red spot half way down the organism, a bit left of midline. The entire structure is 165 microns along its longest axis.

Image; Image
Image;Image

Top photos: anterior view and closeup of head, the specific head segment measuring about 200 microns.
Bottom photos: midbody and interesting tail
Is this a worm or a fly larva? I suspect the latter. This organism is about 5 mm long.

piotr

Post by piotr »

Garry, the flagellate looks like Anisonema - please compare here, here and here.
Piotr