Proper phase alignment...

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: MacroMike, nzmacro, Ken Ramos, twebster, S. Alden

twebster
Site Admin

Proper phase alignment...

Post by twebster »

Hi y'all :D

I just might get some time to use my microscope this weekend. :D Ron Neumeyer put me intouch with a gentleman in Nova Scotia, Bill Sheridan, who was able to recondition the Optovar magnification changer that came with my Zeiss GFL microscope. Bill did a terrific job and I want to thank both Bill and Ron for helping me out.

The Optovar has a built-in bertrand lens to use to align phase contrast rings and objectives. The 'scope came with Zeiss 16x Neofluar phase 2 and Zeiss 40x phase 2 objectives. I'd like to learn how to use them but I need to know how to properly align the rings and objectives. Anybody have any advice as to how to align the phase rings and objectives using the Bertrand lens?

Thanks, my friends :!: :D
Tom Webster
Administrator

Phoenix "The Valley of the Sun", Arizona, USA

Think about this...maybe Murphy is an optimist!!!

rene

Post by rene »

Hi Tom, saw nobody replied to you; maybe I don't understand the question. The Bertrand lens works like the phase telescope, you should be able to see or focus on the 2 rings so you can allign them properly?!

Rene.

twebster
Site Admin

Post by twebster »

Hi ya' Rene :D

Thanks for the reply. I know the Bertrand lens is to replace the phase telescope. My question is...How do you align the rings? What should I be seeing when the rings are properly aligned? I am a phase virgin :!: :shock: :D

Best regards as always, :D
Tom Webster
Administrator

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

Tom... short version...

First - set up the scope for brightfield Koehler, and center the condenser using the condenser centering screws

Second - using the Bertrand lens look at the phase rings and use the adjustments on the condenser (NOT the condenser centering screws!) that slightly move the phase rings. It will be obvious when the two rings (one in the objective, other in the condenser) are superimposed.

micron

Post by micron »

Tom see page 14 in the attached file - http://www.microimaging.ca/universal.pdf

twebster
Site Admin

Post by twebster »

Thanks, guys :D

As luck would have it...I'll have to wait a while longer. Honey do's, don't you know :!: :shock: :( I now have some inkling of what to do. I think I was making it out to be more difficult in my mind than it actually is. Thank you my friends.

Best regards to all, :D
Tom Webster
Administrator