Another mystery Protozoan

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: MacroMike, nzmacro, Ken Ramos, twebster, S. Alden

Garry DeLong

Another mystery Protozoan

Post by Garry DeLong »

This sample was collected from a seepage puddle associated with a large pond in a local park. This particular location is extremely popular with ducks, geese, and their related organic issue.
This video clip linked below features two interesting Protozoa. The organism that I need ID'd is the energetic, oval green zoochlorellae-affected ciliate, 50-75 microns, that dashes about the field. I was able to briefly see (but not photograph) the cilia on high dry magnification. It may well be a holotrich as I didn't spot any of the normally conspicious adoral cilia structures. Prorodon seems a likely candidate, as it is a holotrich of approximately the right shape that is reported (Jahn) to often have zoochlorellae. Just one problem-Prorodon is twice this size--at least 100 microns.
The other interesting Protist in the clip has little to do with the above ID quest. It is Euglena deses , the "crawling Euglena" The flagellum of this organism is stubby to the point of being vestigial. It almost never (and perhaps never never) swims.
I first became aware of this odd Euglena when, 46 years ago, I happened across the sewage treatment settling pond that served the community of my youth. This water was very green. Further examination revealed this Protist, more thickly concentrated that any protozoan that I had seen before or since.
Because of this organism's preference of habitat, I think it would be very appropriate that the beginning "d" in the species name be replaced with an "f".
This link connects to a 1.7 meg mpg file, so a broadband internet connection may be useful.
Garry DeLong
http://garrydelong.com/euglena_deses_short_p.mpg[/i]

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

Hi Garry... nice darkfield video, and I really enjoyed your (PNW oriented) site....

but I don't have a clue on the ID of your mystery creature :(

piotr

Post by piotr »

Garry, I have not idea what it is either. Pretty fast swimmer, though. I have never seen this specimen of Euglena - amazing behaviour. Thanks for sharing!
Piotr