Ciliate ID help needed

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: MacroMike, nzmacro, Ken Ramos, twebster, S. Alden

Garry DeLong

Ciliate ID help needed

Post by Garry DeLong »

Right now I'm involved in doing some video work with Protozoa. The requirements of the job require organism ID. This one's got me stumped, although the cirri is a dead giveaway for the Hypotrich group. Jahn's book doesn't have it. The posterior "kink" to the left and the dark material near the posterior end are both characteristic. I apologize in advance for the poor quality of the photos--they are screen captures from the videotape. I converted them to black and white because the color was unremarkable and I need to conserve space on my website (I'm almost out!). Please go to http://garrydelong.com/micro_demo for these photos.

piotr

Post by piotr »

Garry - my bet: Uroleptus. You can check it here: The Hypotrichida from KAHL (Peter Eigner website) and here: Uroleptus - Protist Information Server. Could be Uroleptosis, too. I'm not sure, hypotrichs can be hard to identify...

Very nice images, by the way!
Piotr

Garry DeLong

Post by Garry DeLong »

Yep. Uroleptus was what came to mind when I first saw this. Uroleptus piscis is the closest in Kahl's listing because of the posterior "kink." However my particular specimens lack the slight ovoid morphology shown in Kahl. Also, I can't figure out the dark material posterior. This is characteristic--they all had the same stuff in the same place. Still, there are so many similarities to Uroleptus (especially the oral configuration) that I feel comfortable in placing this in that genus. Should be good enough for the video.
Garry DeLong
Last edited by Garry DeLong on Wed Apr 06, 2005 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kenv

Post by Kenv »

Hi Garry, I think you might find "Free-Living Freshwater Protozoa" by D J Patterson at great help with ID's, especially as most of the pictures are fairly good quality photographs. I have both this and Jahn which seem to work well together.
Kenv
Ken

Garry DeLong

Post by Garry DeLong »

I think I will end up getting Patterson's book--everybody praises it . Amazon wants almost $100 for a new copy--so maybe it's gonna be used...
Garry DeLong

piotr

Post by piotr »

Another good book is Protozoology by Kudo (5th edition). If you don't have it, you can find it at www.abebooks.com. Also, they have the Patterson's book in $60-$70 range (new copy, they say!).
Piotr

Kenv

Post by Kenv »

Garry, I bought a "used" one which was rated as almost new. When I got it I could not have told the difference between that and a new one.
Kenv
Ken