New Scope

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: MacroMike, nzmacro, Ken Ramos, twebster, S. Alden

Frez

New Scope

Post by Frez »

Hi Everybody

Lady Luck shined her pretty gaze this way and gave me a new scope. It's an AO Model 20H in great condition. it has a 100w halogen lamp and 4x, 10x, 45x, 50x (w/iris), and 100x plan achros. There are 2 four position filter wheels in the base with all of the original filters and 2 more four position wheels in an intermediate device. (any suggestions of what to put in these?) I also added a Bertrand lens from an AO Phase Star. The camera is an Olympus DP10. Tom wants me to put my shoes in it. :D

Thanks
Frez

twebster
Site Admin

Post by twebster »

Aah, Frez :D

Did ya' have to tell on me :?: :D I just thought the camera was big enough to hold your house shoes after you were done shooting. :D Great looking microscope, my friend. The results look pretty good, too. :D

Best regards as always, :D
Tom Webster
Administrator

Phoenix "The Valley of the Sun", Arizona, USA

Think about this...maybe Murphy is an optimist!!!

piotr

Post by piotr »

Wow! This is GREAT microscope, and very nice to use!!! Congratulations, Frez!!! :-)

I have a manual for the AO-20 here.

I envy you this Olympus camera! :)
Piotr

Kenv

Post by Kenv »

Wow, that looks terrific Frez, lucky you!
Kenv
Ken

Post by Guest »

Hey Tom

It is a big ol' boxy looking camera and, what! It says Nike on the side! All this time I've been keeping my ballerina slippers in it. We won't talk about the tutu! :shock: :shock:
What's this talk about you acquiring a Zeiss?

Frez

Post by Guest »

Thanks Piotr! This is my first infinity corrected AO. It's cool to toss intermediate devices in line without a worry. The scope's layout works nicely with the controls being being well placed.

Thanks for the manual link. It showed I have the neutral density filters installed out of order. I also have a phase condenser from a 110 Phase Star, (model 1205), with a .90 ach lens. Unfortunately it doesn't fit the 20's carrier and the 110's carrier won't fit the 20 properly. I wonder if the annuli are the same :?:

Frez

Frez

Post by Frez »

Hi Ken

Well look at you! Nice going for image of the month! Congrats! That's a wonderful collage. The connective tissue in the upper left image is fantastic! Well done :!:

Silly me...take some time off from the hobby and I forget to sign in before replying. :)

Frez

piotr

Post by piotr »

Frez, you can put an analyzer filter in one of the empty slots. I have a similar attachment with a single wheel and the analyzer was already there. I'm not sure, but your double-wheel attachment may come from a fluorescence scope. I would put different retardation plates (1/4 wave, 1/2 wave and full wave) in the bottom wheel slots, and analyzer filter in the upper wheel - an easy way to have a nice polarized light setup.

I think that the condenser top part number in my microscope is AO-1242 (N.A. 1.30). I'm pretty sure that phase objectives are interchangeable between AO-10/20 and 110/120 series. I'm not sure about phase annuli, though. I would guess that if the objectives are compatible, maybe the annuli also are compatible? I know there are several kinds of the annuli, for short and long working distance condensers.

Unfortunately, dovetail diameters in AO-20 and AO-120 are different, so the condensers are not interchangeable. But the AO-20 condenser carrier should be compatible with your older 160mm scope, right?
Piotr