Need some shopping advice

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: MacroMike, nzmacro, Ken Ramos, twebster, S. Alden

nephiliim

Need some shopping advice

Post by nephiliim »

Hello,

I am Tom and i've just strated macrophotography, because i got my first camera from my boss. It's a second hand Sony DSC-P71, thats a 3,2 million pixel cybershot camera with a 24 mm lens.

I allready had a little bit experience with my fathers fujica with macro lens and rings, but that is an old fashion film camera.

I'm saving up some money for a beter camera, which can be fitted with extra lenses and flashes. But I don't what camera is good enough at a relatively low cost, considreing i am only a student.

Can someone please help me?
Sometimes smaller is better!
*nodge nodge :D*

Comments and advice always welcome
My little website

S. Alden
Site Admin

Post by S. Alden »

Hi Tom

What kind of budget are you talking? There are many good cameras on the market, but it is dependent on what you can afford. The DSLRs (digital camera) do allow for exchange of lens and flash units, but they can get pretty expensive. Have you looked at the Canon Digital Rebel line? Most individuals that have this camera have only spoke good of it. Check out www.keh.com. A good reputable company that sells used equipment.
Sue Alden
Administrator
Repost of my images are welcome

Planapo

Post by Planapo »

Hello Tom

Macro photography with a camera is not my forte but I have an old Nikon 995 Coolpix which has a splendid macro setting in the camera itself. I never need to change lenses. On the macro setting I can easily fill the frame with a 15mm object, if I want more mag than that I go to a microscope.

Images are lovely, ring flash is available, secondhand 995s or 4500s are available really cheap and new ones aren't much either.

I can't offer comparative advice as all my experience is with the 995 but as I remember when it came out it had the best makro performance on the market and maybe the 4500 still does... but I don't really know that for sure. It's certainly a good bet though. Maybe not enough pixels for you?

Kenv

Post by Kenv »

Hi Tom, Danny - the Macro Moderator here uses a Panasonic FZ10 with a close up lens on the front - he gets really good macros this way. A Coolpix is good but it is not Image Stablised which means you have to use a tripod all the time, nor does have a very big zoom. The FZ10 or the later FZ20 is image stablised which means you can get good macros hand-held. Also they are 12X zoom.
These are not expensive cameras, the FZ10 has 4 megapixels and the FZ20 has 5 MP.
Have a look a Danny's website and you'll see how good it is.
Cheers Kenv
Ken

nzmacro
Site Admin

Post by nzmacro »

99% of my shots have been with a Sony CD-1000 which is only 2.1 megapixels. In reality its only 1.9 megapixels. Thats never really been an issue to be honest. I now use an FZ10 at 4 megapixels as well. Its not all about megapixels IMHO.

Most go for a DSLR at one stage. I've actually gone the other way on purpose :D . I've had SLR systems and now enjoy the versatility of what I use now.

If I was you and looking at your shots so far, I would get a Ninon 6T twin element add on for your Sony. Even if you have to hold there, its excellent. Top optics at the cost and brilliant results. You would be surprised at how well that Sony can take macro when something like a Nikon 6T or Canon 250D is added to the front. :D

A good friend, Mark Plonsky used the Canon G2 and G4 with superb results by adding a 50mm slr lens in front. Amazing macro shooter and one of the best around IMHO. So it can be quite simple if you want and not that expensive at all.

It does depend on what you want for sure. You might be surprised at just what that Sony can do with the right gear. :D

All the best Tom and if you need help, just fire away. plenty here to help us all.

Danny.