buying advice

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: MacroMike, nzmacro, Ken Ramos, twebster, S. Alden

tropheus

buying advice

Post by tropheus »

I am researching the purchase of a binocular compound microscope for hobbyist use. The LOMO BMH4-BF from Opticsplanet seems the best deal for $445. Is this a good scope or should I look elsewhere? Can I photograph without a trinocular and can I set up darkfield without a special condenser?

Thanks in advance.

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

tropheus... let me say up front that I don't have a huge amount of experience with a wide variety of equipment. And you should be sure to read through this subject thread:

http://www.photomacrography1.net/forum/ ... .php?t=926

Some people will advise you to track down older used equipment from manufacturers like Zeiss or Leitz. Much of this is beautifully made and can be a pretty good bargain. The problem is, as a beginner, it's really tough to know the "in's and out's" of the various models and condition, and unless you purchase from a reputable dealer you can wind up with a "project" needing parts, adjustment, or something you have no idea how to complete.

When you talk "new" in the price range you have mentioned (~$500), your choice will come down to a Chinese made microscope or the Lomo. I think the general opinion is that the Lomo gives you the best product for the $ in this range.

You don't need a trinocular tube to do photomicrography. You can do it through one of the eyepiece tubes. But if photomicrography is a prime reason for getting a microscope, and you do it "all the time" you will quickly wish you had a trinocular tube.

I believe that microscope comes with a na 1.25 Abbe condenser that has a filter tray. If so, it should be easy to set up darkfield stops for most objectives below 40X.

Kenv

Post by Kenv »

Hi Tropheus - well I'm the guy in the group who had bought a Lomo and from a point of view of quality of build and resolution of the objectives I think it would be hard to beat, even by a much more expensive scope. You can do photomicrography by taking shots down an eyepiece but if you want it for full time photomicrography then you would be best served by getting the same scope but complete with a trinoc head and phototube. If you buy a used scope get it from a dealer who refurbishes scopes because you can buy a lot of problems if you don't know what you're doing. If you decide to buy the Lomo and you have further questions don't hesitate to ask me.
Cheers Kenv
Ken