Hygiene

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: MacroMike, nzmacro, Ken Ramos, twebster, S. Alden

Kenv

Hygiene

Post by Kenv »

Many of my samples have large quantities of bacteria, especially the ones I add wheat grains to. What do you guys do about hygiene? Do you just wash your hands or do you take other measures?
Kenv
Ken

Steve West

Post by Steve West »

I usually eat!! KenR probably thinks I'll be dead of some horrible pathogenic thingy within a year or two!! Seriously, I don't do anything. I figure all this stuff has to be good for my immune system! My spleen and liver feel a bit funny though ...

Steve

Kenv

Post by Kenv »

Thanks Steve, at least you gave me a chuckle. I can't say that I'm too bothered about it myself but wife is a bit paranoid about all the bacteria.
Kenv
Ken

gpmatthews

Post by gpmatthews »

As KenR will be quick to point out, there can be nasties in water samples. Mind you, Ken has a distictly morbid turn of mind... Even so, it is always good practice to wash after handling specimens - you can't beat soap and water. It doesn't always kill bugs, but it does wash them away. If you're really feeling paranoid, an antiseptic wash could be used, but unless you're looking at "dirty" samples is probably a bit OTT.
Graham

Kenv

Post by Kenv »

Thanks Graham, yes I think soap and water is enough. Having said that my wife came home one day with some special anti-bacerial soap but I think the ordinary stuff will do.
Kenv
Ken

Garry DeLong

Post by Garry DeLong »

I have been using nothing except for soap and water, but I believe that to be substandard. After reading Ken's article on Acanthamoeba I am going to start using vinyl examination gloves. I really have no excuse. For 36 years as medical microbiologist I was required to glove up before touching any clinical specimen. Since retiring, I just been plain sloppy--and I wasn't aware of Acanthamoeba.
Garry DeLong

lacerta

Post by lacerta »

I have one of those pump bottles of an alcohol based gel that I use on my hands. Sort of a habit I developed to prevent the spread of pathogens when working with my reptile collection here at home. I have worked with material that was definately classed as "bio hazard" but this is usually at the university lab and not at home. There we wear latex gloves, and safety glasses and have a separate slide prep area for preparing wet mounts. At home I use a old serving tray as a slide prep station. Kind of keeps the mess localized and makes for easier cleanup and disinfection after a session at the scope. When dealing with fecal material loaded with parasite eggs or live cultures of hookworm and Trichenella it is sort of scary. Sure cured me my nail-biting and nose picking habit. Most of what I work with here in my home "lab" would not be considered hazardous. But there are critters out there that are considered faculative parasites that we need to be aware of. Naegleria comes to mind. Here in the Southeast they are much more common than folks suspect. Normally harmless but they can be deadly if they end up in the wrong place, like up your nose. I conclude every sesssion with a thorough wipe down of isopropyl alcohol and cleaning all implements and slides with hot water and antibacterial soap. I put a fresh layer of paper towels on my tray and neatly arrange my cleaned implements on the tray. Sounds kind of anal-retentive but I think being organized is a key element to lab safety.
George

Guest - djeames@msn.com

Hygiene - Bacteria in cultures

Post by Guest - djeames@msn.com »

Bacteria in infusion cultures of one sort or another, are in general,
no more dangerous than spoiled food. This would assume you
have not used human or animal waste as an inoculum source.
Most bacteria are harmless, but you would not want to injest
or apply large numbers of them to your skin.

As a matter of safety old culture containers, slides, and such can
be cleaned by soaking them in a 5% chlorox solution for 30 minutes
before a soap and water cleaning. Always keep lab glassware
separate from containers used for food. Its a bad practice to
eat food when handling cultures or chemicals of any kind.

If you were culturing bacteria from barnyard mud on blood agar
incubated at 37 degrees C, then there would be many concerns.