Darkfield Colour

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: MacroMike, nzmacro, Ken Ramos, twebster, S. Alden

Kenv

Darkfield Colour

Post by Kenv »

Before I had flash my darkfield shots had a beautiful gold colour, my camera white balance was set to custom when I got flash and the colour became plain white which was not attractive. This is probably old hat to you guys but what I did was to experiment with white balance on the camera. These shots are only to show the colour - the gold one was using Tungsten white balance and the blue one was using Flash white balance.
Kenv

Ken

Garry DeLong

The color of lighting

Post by Garry DeLong »

The color temperature of tungsten is about 3200 degrees Kelvin down to 2800 for low "romantic" lighting. That of electronic flash approximates daylight, which is about 6400 degrees Kelvin. The higher the number, the bluer the light. You may want to play around with the light at it's source. You may be able to obtain some colored cellophane at a craft store. Wrap a piece over the lense of your flash and secure it with tape or a rubber band. Alternately, you could salvage a clear glass or plastic container, fill it with water, and add and mix food coloring until you get the desire color. I've seen a selection of little vials of different colored food coloring. These are sold as little "kits" and should enable you to make any desired color. Place the bottle of colored water between the microscope and the flash to get the effect.
Garry DeLong

Ken Ramos
Site Admin

Post by Ken Ramos »

Some nice comparison shots Ken, I really like the blue one. :D
Site Admin.
Kenneth Ramos
Rutherfordton, North Carolina
Kens Microscopy
Reposts of my images within the galleries are welcome, as are constructive critical critiques.