Use of 546nm Green Interference Filter with Phase

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: MacroMike, nzmacro, Ken Ramos, twebster, S. Alden

Mike

Use of 546nm Green Interference Filter with Phase

Post by Mike »

Hello all,

I wonder if anyone has tried using the 546nm GIF to attain maximum contrast with phase? IIUC (If I understand correctly) this was the specific frequency that phase optics are designed around.

All the best,

Mike

piotr

Green interference filters $2.50 apiece

Post by piotr »

Yes!... and they improve things a bit, at least with my phase achromat objectives.

This picture I took using the green interference filter:

AO 45x/0.66 NA, phase contrast with green interference filter, Canon S100. Cheek epithelial cells.

By the way. Surplus Shed has them in stock, $2.50 apiece, 50x50 mm square. I'm not sure if they are exactly 546 nm, but close enough for me.
Piotr

Kenv

Post by Kenv »

Yes Piotr, I've used the green filter with Phase Contrast and its very good for resolution. Unfortunately you either have a green image or turn it into a B&W in photoshop.
Kenv
Ken

Mike

Post by Mike »

Hello Piotr & Kenv:

Thanks for the confirmation re resolution improvement.

I have sourced a GIF with 512nm cut-on and 557 cut-off so that should be pretty close.

Piotr - thanks for the link to Surplus Shed - they always seem to have the odd ball items!

Kenv - yes, the green cast is 'unusual' but as you say, conversion to B&W takes care of that.

All the best,

Mike