First post also asking for help.

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: MacroMike, nzmacro, Ken Ramos, twebster, S. Alden

mel

First post also asking for help.

Post by mel »

I am not so new but then again have never really had the experience of knowing much about micro topics. Having said that I just acquired an Olympus Bh2 with a uma unit and am having great fun looking at pond water. An expensive investment I guess but I am happy. Can anyone help me with ideas for putting my Sony 3.3 Cybershot to work on this thing. Since I already own the camera that is the direction I would like to go. There is an older 35 mm PM6 unit on top but I would like to go digital. No power unit for the UMA unit so I am searching hi & lo for one. I want to see what that does. What else can I say .. well I am having fun and to new to know if I'm not. Any help advice would be greatly appreciated. This is my first post so hope I am in the right place.
Thanks

Kenv

Post by Kenv »

Hi Mel, if your new scope is already set up for a 35mm SLR then you would be best getting a Digital SLR to replace it. I'm sure other people will help you with the other parts of your question.
Kenv
Ken

twebster
Site Admin

Post by twebster »

Hi ya' Mel, :D

I am not familiar with your Olympus Microscope but I am familiar with connecting a digital camera to a microscope. I have been trying to connect a Canon G3 to my microscope. The results have been so mixed I have actually gone back to film. I am going to save my pennies this year and buy a digital SLR later to mount on my microscope.

You can see how I mounted my G3 here, http://www.oncloserinspection.com/Equipment/digital.htm. I tried using high eyepoint eyepieces as a relay lens, a MaxView 40+ adapter, and I finally settled on attaching a 50mm f. 1.8 camera lens in reverse to act as a relay lens. This gave me my sharpest results with the least amount of chromatic aberrations. The camera is mounted on a seperate stand and centered over the trinocular port of the microscope.

I think the best results obtained with a consumer grade digital camera are obtained using one of the Nikon Coolpix 900 series and 4500 cameras. The lenses match the diameters of the eyepieces much better than does my Canon G3 and the resulting image is much better. I hope this info helps you out.

Best regards, :D
Tom Webster
Administrator

Phoenix "The Valley of the Sun", Arizona, USA

Think about this...maybe Murphy is an optimist!!!