new and nieve

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: MacroMike, nzmacro, Ken Ramos, twebster, S. Alden

jetlag

new and nieve

Post by jetlag »

I am new at macre photography but I do have an Idea that I want . And that is I want large prints about 24 X 30 and I know that I cannot get that with digital. I also know that I want to print them on a epson 7600. I have alot to learn. Someone sugested a Mamiya 21/4X23/4 all help welcome.

Kenv

Re: new and nieve

Post by Kenv »

jetlag wrote: And that is I want large prints about 24 X 30 and I know that I cannot get that with digital. I also know that I want to print them on a epson 7600. I have alot to learn
Welcome to the forum.
Of course you can print at 24x30 inches with digital - yes you have a lot to learn. Any good 6 megapixel camera will give you a file which if re-sampled in Photoshop or Fractals will post a superb 24 X 30 inch print, you could go to an 8 megapixel camera and print a poster size print. Get a digital SLR and never look backwards!
Kenv
Ken

twebster
Site Admin

Post by twebster »

Hi ya' Jet :!: :D

I moved your post here because the image galleries are for posting images. Questions of a general nature belong in the Discussion...Forum and anything about equipment, technical help, and techniques belong here.

I've seen great 24 x 30 prints from a Canon D10. It takes a little interpolation but the prints looked good. Using 2 1/4 film is mostly a waste doing macro work unless you are shooting large subjects life-size. A fly at life-size fits on a 35mm frame nicely. A fly at life-size on a 2 1/4 frame is lost in all the extra film. If you try to make the fly bigger on the 2 1/4 film then you lose a huge amount of depth of field.

You may have a lot to learn but this is a good place to learn it. :D

Best regards, :D
Last edited by twebster on Sun Feb 13, 2005 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom Webster
Administrator

Phoenix "The Valley of the Sun", Arizona, USA

Think about this...maybe Murphy is an optimist!!!

Post by Guest »

I'm new here, pretty much also. Don't forget too, that your DPI's make a huge difference in size of the photo. My photo program saves photos at 70dpi's which I believe is around 24x30 if I print out my 5 mgpxl camera photos. I havn't done it yet, because if I did, I'd just order them online from a reputable photo processing store. If you save them at a higher dpi, they get smaller, with more clarity. But I know many who have theirs printed.

Chase the info in google. You will find a wealth of information in the forums and tutorials..

nzmacro
Site Admin

Post by nzmacro »

Yes welcome :D . I agree with Tom, the 10D is capable and the 20D along with the Nikon D70 and the Minolta 7D. All DSLR's of course and I think thats what you need for the print sizes you are talking about. The smaller digital cameras should go to to 16" no problem if the exposure is correct.

All the best Jet and again, welcome :D

Danny.

Post by Guest »

jetlag, print size is not limited by image resolution. The print has a "correct" viewing distance which is equal to the diagonal of the print area. So you can take a 35mm negative or 6MP digital file and print it any size you want, 8x10 or 30x40, it will essentially look the same when viewed at the correct distance.

nephiliim

Post by nephiliim »

Anonymous wrote:I'm new here, pretty much also. Don't forget too, that your DPI's make a huge difference in size of the photo. My photo program saves photos at 70dpi's which I believe is around 24x30 if I print out my 5 mgpxl camera photos. I havn't done it yet, because if I did, I'd just order them online from a reputable photo processing store. If you save them at a higher dpi, they get smaller, with more clarity. But I know many who have theirs printed.

Chase the info in google. You will find a wealth of information in the forums and tutorials..
I'd like to know wich program you use. I use photoshop CS 8 and I can ajust allmost anything from color depth to dpi to pixels/inch etc etc.
Sometimes smaller is better!
*nodge nodge :D*

Comments and advice always welcome
My little website