(first post) photographing snowflakes - advice on setup

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: MacroMike, nzmacro, Ken Ramos, twebster, S. Alden

Andy Sorensen

Post by Andy Sorensen »

Thank you Mike! I wasn't sure what kind of results were possible with such a simple setup, but I'm certainly not disappointed. Still there is lots of room for improvement, and I plan to use the advice given in this thread to continue my work with this problem. Eventually, I'd like to construct a 'stage' from something other than cardboard boxes. What a great and informative forum this is.

One thing I have learned from yesterday's photo session is that time is of the essence with snowflakes. They degrade very rapidly, losing details from their intricate construction quickly.

gpmatthews

Post by gpmatthews »

I spent many years developing products. processes and methods. Use whatever works and never worry about being laughed at if the techniques work! The images are great.
Graham

Mike

Post by Mike »

Hi Andy,

The results you have posted would be the envy of most of the people on this forum, and justifiably so. You have tackled a particularly difficult area that doesn't allow a lot of room for fiddling, as you said, you don't get much time.

From the images you have posted, I would expect the full size images are killers, and it's going to be hard to get better.

As Graham stated (slightly paraphrased) - it ain't the box, it's what comes out of it!

All the best,

Mike

Ken Ramos
Site Admin

Post by Ken Ramos »

LIB a monkeys uncle! :shock: What a great series of images. They are so clear and crisp. Who cares what your set up looks like, look at the images produced! :D I don't know what else to say........ :?:
Site Admin.
Kenneth Ramos
Rutherfordton, North Carolina
Kens Microscopy
Reposts of my images within the galleries are welcome, as are constructive critical critiques.

Post by Guest »

Andy... I just came across the images you posted a couple weeks ago. They are spectacular! Congratulations... very well done!