Photomicrography set-up with DSLR

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: MacroMike, nzmacro, Ken Ramos, twebster, S. Alden

gpmatthews

Post by gpmatthews »

Piotr,

I too use flash and can confirm what the others have said - it's barely noticeable if you are watching the subject at the time. Only a small proprtion of the light can make it to the eye through the microscope optics. It is also of very short duration. I think you must get considerable more intense light in the eyes if you have your photo taken by flash.
Graham

piotr

Post by piotr »

Thank you for all comments, guys!!! It seems like flash is not a big concern for the eyes. I hope I will try it by myself soon! :-)
Piotr

GreenLarry

Post by GreenLarry »

That really is an inspiring site, and i see the good ole Vivitar 283 being used-will that flashgun ever die?

wilash

Post by wilash »

Well, I am a little disappointed. I was expecting a top-of-the-line Olympus or Zeiss scope (sitting next to a SEM). This means it is not the equipment, but the photographer. Well, there goes my excuse. I guess I am going to have to work at it. (And just after I convinced my wife I need a better scope too - there goes my Christmas present.)

But seriously, interesting solution, Charles.

As far as the flash and eye safety issue, the scopes optical system loses too must light - staring into a halogen light bulb is not a great idea either unless it is filtered. The light is just the background and so it should simply be recorded as white. If the light is too bright, there will be too much flare in the system. I don't recommend firing a flash directly into someones eyes.
Will

GreenLarry

Post by GreenLarry »

wilash wrote:This means it is not the equipment, but the photographer.
This is something I keep telling people when they ask,'Wow what camera did you use?....' :roll:

bioluminescence

Post by bioluminescence »

*POST DELETED BY USER*