Another fantastic Insect Video

This area is for the discussion of what's new, what's on your mind, and general photographic topics. A place to meet, make comments on this site, and get the latest community news.

Moderators: MacroMike, nzmacro, Ken Ramos, twebster, S. Alden

Moebius

Another fantastic Insect Video

Post by Moebius »

Microcosmos

http://www.spiritofbaraka.com/micro.aspx

This is a fantastic video getting up close and personal with the insect (and a few other small critters) world. Incredible focus and resolution throughout. I happened to be able to watch this on a 50" HDTV flatscreen and it looked more real than reality. The stills on the website will give you an idea. 10/10.

Ken Nelson

MikeBinOKlahoma

Post by MikeBinOKlahoma »

Ken, I own this one, and I agree it is great. Over Thanksgiving I took it home to the family get-together, thinking the group might enjoy a few minutes of it. We ended up watching the whole thing (90 minutes if I recall) straight through with nobody so much as getting up to use the bathroom.

Fantastic camera work!
Mike Broderick

(reposts on this site of my images for critique or instruction are welcome)

MacroMike
Site Admin

Post by MacroMike »

I also have this DVD and agree that it's fantastic. I especially liked the scenes of the ants protecting the aphids from the ladybugs. Then seeing how they nurture the aphids and harvest their sweet secretions. Our milking of cows has nothing over this.

I only wish that the film was narrated so that some of the behavior could be explained.
Michael Keniston
Site Administrator
Tampa, FL
www.aclosereyeview.com
m_keniston@aclosereyeview.com

"The possession of a camera can inspire something akin to lust and like all credible forms of lust, it can not be satisfied."

Susan Sontag, On Photography (1977)

MikeBinOKlahoma

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00006 ... 0031?n=130

The above DVD is pretty good (two separate shows on beetles and spiders). Highlight, believe it or not, was extensive coverage of dung beetles doing their thing. Fascinating to watch! And the price is right, at least in the USA. Y'all in Europe, NZ, Oz, etc., will have to check your local suppliers.
Mike Broderick

Ken Ramos
Site Admin

Post by Ken Ramos »

Mike wrote;
Fascinating to watch! And the price is right, at least in the USA. Y'all in Europe, NZ, Oz, etc., will have to check your local suppliers.
Yeah...well...I guess I'm off to see the wizard. :roll: :D
Site Admin.
Kenneth Ramos
Rutherfordton, North Carolina
Kens Microscopy
Reposts of my images within the galleries are welcome, as are constructive critical critiques.

nzmacro
Site Admin

Post by nzmacro »

I'm used to paying up to $30 US if the DVD is worth it mate. At that cost, its a must have and what about "Crocodiles & Snakes", that must be you as well Mike. you and those amazing snake shots of yours.

Danny.

MacroMike
Site Admin

Post by MacroMike »

I ordered the Beetles and Spiders DVD along with several other DVDs and books. Well, it arrived yesterday and I watched it with my 9 year old and her friends during their sleep over last night. They "yucked" and "illed" at it throughout and covered their eyes, but still peeked the way children do. Then they wanted to watch it again. LOL. The videography was fantastic and the narrative very informative. You can not find a better deal for this quality anywhere.
Michael Keniston
Site Administrator
Tampa, FL
www.aclosereyeview.com
m_keniston@aclosereyeview.com

"The possession of a camera can inspire something akin to lust and like all credible forms of lust, it can not be satisfied."

Susan Sontag, On Photography (1977)

MikeBinOKlahoma

Who would've figured dung beetles would be so popular with 9-year olds? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Mike Broderick

prashanteju

Post by prashanteju »

Yes, I own microcosmos albeit in German. A fantastic watch. I recently got a B and W speakers along with NAD receiver/amplifier and the surround sound was just too good.
PrashanTeju Khapane
Photography, Paintings & Travelogues
Visit our Homepage!