Freshwater Algae

This area is for the discussion of what's new, what's on your mind, and general photographic topics. A place to meet, make comments on this site, and get the latest community news.

Moderators: MacroMike, nzmacro, Ken Ramos, twebster, S. Alden

Ken Ramos
Site Admin

Freshwater Algae

Post by Ken Ramos »

You know if there were one, Iwould feel like the closing act at a Stevie Ray concert, after the previous post. :lol:

Anyway, I took a trip to Asheville, N.C. this weekend, haven't been in a few weeks since gas has gone up and paid a visit to the Complete Naturalist. No, I did not visit Linnaeus. The Complete Naturalist is a unique little nature shop near Biltmore Ave and Logan in downtown, for those who may be familiar with Asheville, I think there are one or two of you.

While there I browesed their book selection and various tools and trinkets for nature study and came across one of the "how to know" books. This particular one was "how to know the Freshwater Algae." They had others also of which many of you microscopist are famiar, "how to know the Protozoa," and many others also. I would have liked to have purchased several but money unfortunately does not grow out back of the house.

So, I opted for an extra copy of "how to know the Protozoa," mine is old, worn, and losing its pages and "how to know the Freshwater Algae," of which I did not have. A whopping $111.00 US. :shock:

"how to know the Freshwater Algae" is a handy reference at $49.95US, 293 pages spiral bound (new). WCB Pictured Key Nature Series, McGraw-Hill Books Inc. Third Edition G.W. Prescott, University of Montana. LCCCN: 77-91275 (spiral bound). IBSN 0-697-04755-5 (cloth) -04754-7 (Paper)

The book covers; Preservation, Preparing Mounts; What are Algae, covering Species, Genus, Family, Order, and Divsion or Phylum; How and Where to Collect Freshwater Algae; The Phyla of Algae and a Synopsis of the Algal Phyla. A list of General References preceeds the Pictured Key to the Common Genera of Freshwater Algae.

A not so good book for the beginner but one has to start somewhere. The keys take a while to get used to and to understand. For those of you who are familiar with "how to know the Protozoa," it follows the same format with drawings and tech. information. IMO a good buy and yeah I write my name on everything, in case anyone is wondering about the upper left corner of the book. An old habit left over from my days in the military. Had to have someway of keeping up with my Louis L'Amore western paperbacks. Even the Cap'n wrote his name on his and if you borrowed it, you better bring it back. A carrier may not have a "yardarm" but that doesn't mean we can't build one! :shock: Ooo Rah! :lol:
Site Admin.
Kenneth Ramos
Rutherfordton, North Carolina
Kens Microscopy
Reposts of my images within the galleries are welcome, as are constructive critical critiques.

gslaten

Post by gslaten »

Hi Ken,

Yep, I am familiar with Asheville, and will be visiting again in a couple of months. I am unfamiliar with the Complete Naturalist and Linnaeus but when I am there I will get hold of you and try and visit one or both of them. Maybe we can have that cup of coffee. The book looks to be a good reference, and of course I am sure they have lots of other books to spend money on :lol:

Gary

Ken Ramos
Site Admin

Post by Ken Ramos »

Hi Gary! That cup of coffee sounds good. :D There are some cafe's near the store. The Complete Naturalist is a quaint little shop, selling, for the most part, the basics for nature study. A little pricy on somethings and reasonable on others. The two books I purchased were at competative prices with other stores. I would go as far as to say that they had other places beat by a dollar or two. We had another nature shop in the Grove Arcade area but it has closed or moved. :( It was operated by a retired UNC prof. I think and it was pricy! :D
Site Admin.
Kenneth Ramos
Kens Microscopy
Reposts of my images within the galleries are welcome, as are constructive critical critiques.

wtrfall

Post by wtrfall »

Hi Ken!
Ashville isnt that where a dream home is from HGTV?

That looks like a good book.
I want o ID the kind of algae I have in my pond at present. Temps have been btween 10 degrees f and 40 and this is growing well. its thready/slimy algae.

Ken Ramos
Site Admin

Post by Ken Ramos »

Well I am not familar with dream homes or tv very much. Especially tv :? Yeah I am a grump :lol: With the exception of a few select cable channels such as Nature, Nat. Geo, or PBS, the networks are a wasteland. So the only cable I have is the one out the window to a pole outside on the roof and still I rarely watch tv and the only "dish network" I have is in the cupboard. :wink: :lol:

That slimy mess in your pond is quite beautiful when seen through the microscope and is home to thousands if not more, equally as beautiful micro organisms :D
Site Admin.
Kenneth Ramos
Kens Microscopy

wtrfall

Post by wtrfall »

:lol: ya, i know what you mean TV today is crap.
thats why I am browsing your forum instead of watching it. I always end up watching national geographic channel though. but my dughter subscribes so when I cancel cable in the spring, I will just bring the magazine out by my pond sit in the swing and read.

Oh lots of stuff in my algae slimy mess? I better hurry and get that new microscope. so I can see. my current one can go to the grandkids. They will love to see those microscopic critters, :)
PS; Ken, I heard you mention Stevie rayvaughn (did I spell that right?)
I like some of his music. Are you a fan. sorry if I am off subject :oops:

Ken Ramos
Site Admin

Post by Ken Ramos »

Lynne asked:
PS; Ken, I heard you mention Stevie rayvaughn (did I spell that right?)
I like some of his music. Are you a fan. sorry if I am off subject
No you are not off subject here, I do not think, this is a General Discussion forum :D Yes, I do like Stevie Ray Vaughn and I am a bit of a fan. It seems that something always happens to the great muscians :( I also like Hendrix, Lenon, , George Thorogood and the Destroyers \:D/, and BB King just to mention a few. :D
Site Admin.
Kenneth Ramos
Kens Microscopy

wtrfall

Post by wtrfall »

oh I dont know who the destoyers are :cry:

Red Seven

Post by Red Seven »

Here's a tip on finding some of these books at a better price for those on a tight budget and who do not necessarily need a perfectly new copy. Try www.abebooks.com. You can pick up a used copy of How to know Protozoa for as little as $8.75 a copy plus shipping (as of today). There are probably lots of other related titles there as well. I buy there regularly when I can't find a book new in print such as Werner Nachtigalls "Exploring with the Microscope" which I got for $27.95 when anywhere I could find a used copy they wanted between $85 & $100 a copy. Good Luck!

Ken Ramos
Site Admin

Post by Ken Ramos »

Thanks for the tip and the link. I am sure some of our members and guests may or will find that quite useful. I know I will keep it mind because I am a fanatic about books. I tend find the information in them to be more reliable than some, note I said some, on-line sources. :D
Site Admin.
Kenneth Ramos
Kens Microscopy

bernhardinho

Post by bernhardinho »

Hi Ken,

here is another hint for book fanatics: www.findmybook.de
It's a german site, but there is an option to look for books in english. If you have any problems or questions concerning language problems, please do ask. This site is a real winner, if your desired book is available somewhere on the planet, you will find it. I've ordered even from Canada ( well, not so special for you) and New Zealand. And you can compare prices. ( that 111 bucks really hurt me!).

Good luck

Bernhard[/u][/url]