Violet Ground Beetle - Face to Face

Post your macro and close-up images in this gallery. You may post all subject types whether natural or unnatural, living or non-living.

Moderators: MacroMike, nzmacro, Ken Ramos, twebster, S. Alden

georgedingwall

Violet Ground Beetle - Face to Face

Post by georgedingwall »

Hi All,

I decided to have another look my beetle today and settled on going in tight on the head.

I used a different setup for this shot. I changed to my Nikon 105mm macro lens fitted with a X2 teleconverter and two sets of closeup tubes.

This image is a composite of 7 images done in Helicon Focus 4.

The flash setup was the same except I had to crank all 3 heads up to full power to get enough light for an F8 exposure.

The image is full frame from my D200. The distance from the tip of the jaws to the orange coloured frilly bit at the plate join is about 4mm.

D200 with Nikon 105mm Macro lens
X2 teleconverter
2 set of closeup tubes.
1/250 sec @ F8
Mirror Lock up used.
7 frames stacked in Helicon Focus 4
Finished in Photoshop CS2
George Dingwall

Invergordon, Scotland

http://www.georgedingwall.co.uk/

Beetleman

Post by Beetleman »

Super fantastic stack George. Love that purple color :shock:
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda
Canon PowerShot S1 IS with Canon 250D closeup lens

Ken Ramos
Site Admin

Post by Ken Ramos »

Definitely a fantastic shot there George! :o Nice work on this. :D
Site Admin.
Kenneth Ramos
Rutherfordton, North Carolina
Kens Microscopy
Reposts of my images within the galleries are welcome, as are constructive critical critiques.

Carl_Constantine

Post by Carl_Constantine »

with that kind of setup (macro lens. 2x teleconverter, and some extension tubes) I can't imagine how close you are to get the detail in this shot.

I used a couple extension tubes on my 50mm prime lens to take a picture of a flower petal (Petal's Edge in this forum) and my lens is practically sitting on the flower to get anything in focus.

Nice pic. Still wouldn't want to meet it in a dark alley.
Carl B. Constantine
http://photo-op.ca/

georgedingwall

Post by georgedingwall »

Carl_Constantine wrote:with that kind of setup (macro lens. 2x teleconverter, and some extension tubes) I can't imagine how close you are to get the detail in this shot.

I used a couple extension tubes on my 50mm prime lens to take a picture of a flower petal (Petal's Edge in this forum) and my lens is practically sitting on the flower to get anything in focus.

Nice pic. Still wouldn't want to meet it in a dark alley.
Hi Carl,

The distance from the front element of my lens to the tip of the bettle's jaws was about 5 inches.

I have this image as my desktop wallpaper, but I wouldn't like to meet one of these in a dark alley either. Although it might make us less arrogant as a race if there were a few very large, very mean insects on the planet with the power to fight back.

Bye for now.
George Dingwall

Invergordon, Scotland

http://www.georgedingwall.co.uk/