Dead Fly...

Post your images made through a compound microscope or made with a stereo/dissecting microscope in this gallery. Images may be of any subject natural or unnatural, living or non-living.

Moderators: MacroMike, nzmacro, Ken Ramos, twebster, S. Alden

crocoite

Dead Fly...

Post by crocoite »

...it's the only way that I can get them to stay still long enough to photograph :lol:

This one decided to lay down and die next to my laptop so I thought I'd stick him under my scope...

First one is 9mm across...

Second is 2mm across...not sure what the three orange globules are on top of the head.

Regards
Steve

Look at everything everyday. No, really. Look at EVERYTHING EVERYDAY.
The Real Meaning of Life!

Ken Ramos
Site Admin

Post by Ken Ramos »

Some good photos Steve. :D I have found out myself that under the objectives of a stereomicroscope, dead insects are much easier to photograph. :D One thing I might suggest is using a small soft bristled bush, the kind women folk use to gussie themselves up with, to gently clean the insect up just a little. I use a cosmetics brush that I got from the local drug store. These brushes are very soft and are great also for cleaning optics, as long as the wife or girlfriend, which ever the case maybe :roll: , has not used them for make-up. I have neither so my brushes remain clean. :lol: Also using an asperator or a can of compressed air cleans them up nicely too, just don't blow them out the window with the compressed air :lol: , gently squeeze the trigger on that thing until you get the proper air flow and then using a pair of tweezers hold your insect up into the flow of air to blow away any remaining dust. :wink:
Site Admin.
Kenneth Ramos
Rutherfordton, North Carolina
Kens Microscopy
Reposts of my images within the galleries are welcome, as are constructive critical critiques.

crocoite

Post by crocoite »

I tried to remove the dust Ken but the fly is pretty fragile. I managed to pick off most of the bigger pieces.
Regards
Steve

Look at everything everyday. No, really. Look at EVERYTHING EVERYDAY.
The Real Meaning of Life!

Ken Ramos
Site Admin

Post by Ken Ramos »

Yeah, sometimes these smaller insects are hard to clean up. Most of the time I fail to get them as clean as I would like them big or small. :lol:
Site Admin.
Kenneth Ramos
Rutherfordton, North Carolina
Kens Microscopy
Reposts of my images within the galleries are welcome, as are constructive critical critiques.