"Dust" on my sensor?

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: MacroMike, nzmacro, Ken Ramos, twebster, S. Alden

crocoite

"Dust" on my sensor?

Post by crocoite »

Hi all

I have a bit of a problem. I bought my Sony DSC-P150 in September 2004 and last year, just out of warranty (!) I had to get it repaired. To Sony's credit, they did fix it under warranty. Now the problem has started to reappear.

I think that it is "dust" on my sensor. The two smaller red circles in the picture below started to appear a few days ago but I could retouch that generally without too much effort. However tonight, the large "worm" has appeared. Compounding the problem is that photographing through my microscope makes it much more visible.

Does anyone have any information about why this occurs? Its probably going to cost me $80 to $100 to get fixed this time, maybe more.

Hope that it is ok to post this query in this forum...
Regards
Steve

Look at everything everyday. No, really. Look at EVERYTHING EVERYDAY.
The Real Meaning of Life!

Carl_Constantine

Post by Carl_Constantine »

Interesting, I've not seen dust in a P&S camera before. I had dust in my Rebel from changing lenses. I'm wondering if it could have been there during the manufacturing process and has just moved around a bit onto your sensor. Or maybe it got in another way. Are you sure it's not just on the lens?
Carl B. Constantine
http://photo-op.ca/

crocoite

Post by crocoite »

Hi Carl

Definitely not on the lens. Most of the DSC range have lenses that extend and the theory is that it can create a vaccuum and suck dust into the camera. As I said, I have had it repaired once and the problem has not been there since last October. My camera does get a lot of use but its annoying when this happens. Ideally, I need a camera where the lens is totally encased or does not move but that makes it difficult to use with my microscope without a proper adaptor.
Regards
Steve

crocoite

Post by crocoite »

Sony repair people have had a look at my camera. Diagnosis not good. Last time, the "dust" had gotten between the lens and the sensor. This time, the "dust" has made its way into the lens itself. Repair cost ~$450! He's got it to move out of the way by "banging" the lens (argh!). I pick it up tomorrow. Theory is that I should be able to continue to use it, but that the problem may come back again soon. If it does, and I can't resolve it, I'll be buying another (for not much more than the $450) and getting myself an extended warranty!
Regards
Steve

MikeBinOKlahoma

Post by MikeBinOKlahoma »

Interesting, in an awful way. I didn't know P&S cameras were subject to this! If you have to live with dust anyway, why not just go all the way and get a DSLR and be done with it? :-)
Mike Broderick

(reposts on this site of my images for critique or instruction are welcome)

Ken Ramos
Site Admin

Post by Ken Ramos »

For what it's worth. I had this problem with a Sony DSC W5 purchased at Wal Mart. I also had the same problem with two Fuji FinePix p&S purchased at "Wal Mart." Where did you purchase your Sony and was Sony's "factory seal" on the box and packaging? If not, you may have purchased a factory reconditioned item which would still carry the warrenty and would be honored by Sony but not reconditioned to Sonys quality insepction standards and yes, a microscope will show up flaws and dust instantly. Now again for what it is worth. I purchased a DSC W5 from Best Buy, with Sony's factory seals and guess what...clean as a whistle and it has stayed that way for over a year now with constant use on my microscope! :wink:
Site Admin.
Kenneth Ramos
Rutherfordton, North Carolina
Kens Microscopy
Reposts of my images within the galleries are welcome, as are constructive critical critiques.

crocoite

Post by crocoite »

Hi Ken

Mine was a new Sony. I bought it when this particular model first came out. It hadn't even been released in Australia. I bought it in New Zealand.
Regards
Steve