Monopod update for rjlittlefield...

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: MacroMike, nzmacro, Ken Ramos, twebster, S. Alden

twebster
Site Admin

Monopod update for rjlittlefield...

Post by twebster »

Hi ya' Rik, :D

I know you've been interested in how my monopod setup continues to function. Thought I would post a quick update to you. My little "V"-head, A Simple Monopod Head, works great 99% of the time. However, if you have to shoot at an acute down-angle or up-angle, the lens is no longer cradled by the "V"-head. At acute angles the lens and camera sort of rests against the "V"-head rather than being supported by it.

To solve this issue I purchased a tiny Giottos MH1004 Ball Head from B&H Photo for $9.95. Placed between the monopod and "V"-head I can angle the "V"-head up or down so that the "V"-head cradles the lens properly. Works even better now. I'll post an image of the rig in my article a little later today.

Best regards as always, :D
Tom Webster
Administrator

Phoenix "The Valley of the Sun", Arizona, USA

Think about this...maybe Murphy is an optimist!!!

twebster
Site Admin

Post by twebster »

Here's the photos...

...and...

Adding the ball head allows me to tilt the "V"-head down and maintain a cradle for the lens. This system is unbeatable if you have to handhold your camera. :D

Best regards as always, :D
Tom Webster
Administrator

Phoenix "The Valley of the Sun", Arizona, USA

Think about this...maybe Murphy is an optimist!!!

rjlittlefield

Post by rjlittlefield »

Tom, thanks for the update. That little ball head looks pretty effective. There just might be some other uses for that thing...

--Rik