Where I Live

Danny, Michael, and I (Tom) couldn't be happier and more impressed with our members and friends! It would be wonderful if we all got to know each other better. Here's a forum to post images and short autobiographies of ourselves as well as any other info you would like to post about yourself. We are looking forward to meeting you all!

Moderators: nzmacro, Ken Ramos, twebster, S. Alden

Ken Ramos
Site Admin

Where I Live

Post by Ken Ramos »

It's not like it used to be, I am sorry to say. It was much more beautiful before man in his infinite wisdom decided that it needed developing. :(

The views of the mountains are covered in a blue haze, hence the name Blue Ridge Mountains, which are part of the oldest mountain range in the world, the Appalachians. I wish that our politicians had a bit more respect for them but the Nature Conservancy has got a hold of some acerage and now has it protected, some under federal law. :wink:

There are in the distance, not clearly seen, a number of housing developments, a country club, and an exclusive gated community. :? You know we have cities for all that, why our mountains? At one time you could look from horizon to horizon and not see a single house up here.

This is Grandfathers Mountain, it to is in a humid haze. Always is at this time of year. It is privately owned and up for sale if anyone is interested. Five million dollars and you can call it yours. Here there is a biosphere, nature trails, a swinging bridge between the two peaks, a resturant and gift shop and every living thing here is protected. You pick nothing, you kill nothing. If caught doing so, the fines are burdensome and your room and board are or will be paid, by the tax payers of North Carolina. :lol: Every thing here is protected under federal law also. :wink:

To the right center, the tallest portion of Grandfather, is McCrae peak, about six thousand and some odd feet up. I have climbed this thing. Can you believe it? :roll: The trail takes you from Grandfather to the base of the peak. At the base there are plastic coated, knotted, steel cables anchored to the granite face of the peak for you to climb up for starters. Then after a little hike, there are log ladders that take you up to the top, about five of them. One slip here and the EMT's can take there time in getting to you. Because, one you will be dead and the other it will be a few minutes before you get to and hit the bottom. :lol: No, I have not done it again and don't intend to, once was enough. :roll: On a more serious note, a climber died trying to rapell down the shear granite face about a month or so ago. I think his rope broke! Fell a couple of hundered feet I think, maybe a little less, not sure. He made the evening news though. :shock: I see a lot of people doing stupid stuff in these mountains. They are pretty and awsome but they will kill you if you get your head up your........ :roll:

For all you "gall" lovers. This should be of interest. This is an oak tree with an insect caused gall. Would ya just look at the size of that thing! :o They call them "burls." Settlers used to cut them off to make bowls and such out of them. :wink:

Well a few photographs to show everyone a little of where I do some of my macros and critter hunting. I will probably post some more later as the summer goes along. North Carolina is quite beautiful. If any of you ever get the chance to visit it, either here or on the coast, I am sure you will enjoy yourself. Thanks for looking! :D
Last edited by Ken Ramos on Thu Jul 27, 2006 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Site Admin.
Kenneth Ramos
Rutherfordton, North Carolina
Kens Microscopy
Reposts of my images within the galleries are welcome, as are constructive critical critiques.

MacroLuv

Post by MacroLuv »

Hi Ken!
Beautiful place! Reminds me of landscape I visited recently near Vrbovsko town. (Vrbovsko could be translated as 'place of willows')
Here is the photograph:

1st July 2006.
More precisley the name of the place at photograph is 'Riblje - Severin na Kupi'. Riblje means 'place of fishes'. Kupa is the river name. Here stands Kupi because... oh never mind. Excuse me for my bad english but you can bet that croatian language is much more difficult. :D

And one more photograph from my little trip:

1st July 2006.
This place is near canyon Kamacnik.
If you see some white spots on the photograph... well.. air was full of poplar (Cottonwood) flakes.
Featuring breathtaking scenery, Kamacnik has been the focus of tourist attention for many years. A walking trail, wooden bridges and galleries were constructed in 1961 throughout this picturesque canyon. Our famous mountaineer and writer Zeljko Poljak in his book "Croatian mountains" describes Kamacnik as a "gorge filled with wild romance". Kamacnik cut its gorge into the Velika Kapela massive, and it pours into river Dobra cascading in a light waterfall since it was turned into a lake by dam construction at the canyon exit. The Kamacnik spring is of typical karst variety - the water arrives to the spring from underground caves.
Status of Kamacnik is 'KAMACNIK - STATE PROTECTED LANDSCAPE'.
River name Dobra means Good, or more precisley She-is-good.
(He-is-good ==> Dobar, It-is-good ==> Dobro). In that word -ra relates to she, -ar relates to he and -ro relates to it.
Welcome to croatian language! :lol:
Last edited by MacroLuv on Thu Jul 27, 2006 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ken Ramos
Site Admin

Post by Ken Ramos »

These are wonderful images Nikola and I thank you for sharing them in this thread. :D In my travels I have experienced many things in many different cultures but when it comes to our homelands it seems, sometimes, that we all share something in common.

An interesting language you have there also. Thanks for the lesson. :D I have heard it said that the english language out of all others is the hardest to learn, if I am not mistaken. :-k Sometimes I can see why. When I lived in the Philippine Islands, I was able to learn a little bit of the "tagalog" dialect, which is the easiest I believe but I have since forgotton most of it since I very seldom now adays use it. They have seven different dialects depending on what island you are from. Like your example, one word can mean many in their language also. Thanks again for sharing some of your country and its language with us Nikola, it is very interesting to see and to read about. :D
Site Admin.
Kenneth Ramos
Rutherfordton, North Carolina
Kens Microscopy
Reposts of my images within the galleries are welcome, as are constructive critical critiques.