Suggestion regarding the website

This area is for the discussion of what's new, what's on your mind, and general photographic topics. A place to meet, make comments on this site, and get the latest community news.

Moderators: MacroMike, nzmacro, Ken Ramos, twebster, S. Alden

mistermacro

Suggestion regarding the website

Post by mistermacro »

First of alll I must thank you administrators for doing such a great job!
I really enjoy the site and the inspiration it gives.

However I have a suggestion that may improve the site:

99 percent of the times i log on I wish to go to the gallery and check out what's new or post something myself.
I am sure the same goes for most other visitors.
Why not make the galleries easier to find?
currently they are hidden between guidelines and other things on the page, and are not directly accessible from the splashpage.
If they were made more prominent I am sure more casual visitors would also make it to the galleries, which all the great pictures surely deserve.

anyway, this was my two cents.
keep up the good work :D

twebster
Site Admin

Post by twebster »

Hi ya' mistermacro, :D

Thank you for taking the time to submit your suggestions. We do appreciate all of our members involvement on all levels in our community. :D Now, to address your concerns...
mistermacro wrote:Why not make the galleries easier to find?
currently they are hidden between guidelines and other things on the page, and are not directly accessible from the splashpage.
If they were made more prominent I am sure more casual visitors would also make it to the galleries, which all the great pictures surely deserve.
I'm not sure what you mean by "splash page". If you are referring to the home pages for the macro and micro sites, there is a direct link to the forums/galleries on every page. If you are referring to the opening page of the forums/galleries there is a reason that there are guidelines, etc. that precede the galleries.

1) In the past, gallery guidelines were "missed" when they were posted within each category. New members were posting images at will without following the guidelines. By bringing the guidelines forward within their own category there is no excuse for "missing" the gallery guidelines. This has immensely cut down the amount of time we administrators were having to spend editing new members' topics and then emailing them as to galery guidelines. Yes, this will seem to make the galleries harder to find but has helped keep the administrators available for posting replies and other duties.

If you want to go directly to the gallery of interest, when you log on make sure you check "Log me in automatically with each visit". This creates a cookie that stores your log in info. Doing so prevents you from having to log in on each visit. Afterwards it is simply a matter of clicking on the gallery of your choice and creating a "favorites" link to that gallery. If you are running Internet Explorer simply hold down the "Ctrl" and press the "D" key. This will add a direct link to your choice of galleries to your "Favorites" list.

2) Our community is more than just image galleries, although they are the most popular of our features. We are building a community. We've ordered the categories such that we hope to stimulate participation in other areas of our community besides just the galleries.

Thank you, again, mistermacro for your comments. BTW, I will be taking the next 30 days to 45 days to create a new and larger home for our community. Stay tuned... :D

Best regards, :D
Tom Webster
Administrator

Phoenix "The Valley of the Sun", Arizona, USA

Think about this...maybe Murphy is an optimist!!!